Table of Contents Hide
ZTE had its ups and downs throughout the years. Not to forget the US banning the Chinese manufacturer for a short period of time. Now, the electronics giant has recovered from the ban and re-activated their servers and IP addresses. Although we haven’t seen any OTA updates for the Axon 7 or Axon 7 Mini lately, the custom ROM development is on fire. Especially when the Axon 7 gets Treble support unofficially. So download and install the Axon 7 Treble ROM based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
Thanks to developer NFound and his/her Aosp Extended – Treble ROM build, the Axon 7 can now have Project Treble support. This means, you can flash the latest Android version by flashing the Generic System Images (GSI); available for all Treble supported devices. We already have the Android P as well as Android 8.1 Oreo GSI builds available for download. You can also try flashing them after you have made your Axon 7 Treble ROM compatible.
In this tutorial we will show you how to bring support for Project Treble on your Android device. The procedure may seem a bit complicated for those who don’t know how to flash a system images using MiFlash Tool and EDL mode.
Warning: This is an initial build and may or may not be compatible with every Axon 7 device. If something goes wrong we won’t be held responsible.
Download Axon 7 Project Treble ROM
Following is the unofficial Project Treble ROM for Axon 7. We have also listed the required Treble TWRP recovery, treble Vendor ROM, Gapps, Magisk, etc.
You will also need:
- TWRP recovery with Axon 7 Treble support
- Axon 7 GPT Vendor
- Gapps 8.1 Oreo
- Latest Magisk to root Axon 7
How to Install Project Treble ROM on Axon 7?
- Download everything from above and transfer it to your device storage or SD card.
- First, make sure your Axon 7 is rooted with latest TWRP recovery.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery and flash the new TWRP 3.2.1-8 – TREBLE recovery.
- Reboot into the new TWRP with Treble support.
- Reboot into EDL mode or Download mode.
- Flash the AXON7_GPT_ADD_VENDOR ROM from above. To do so, extract the zip file, enter the folder, and flash through MiFlash Tool.
- Now, reboot into TWRP recovery. (To do so, power off the phone and then press and hold the volume + and the power button)
- From TWRP, go to Wipe > Advanced > Checkbox on Vendor > Change the file partition to EXT4.
- Similarly, do the same for Data partition as in the step 7.
- Again, reboot TWRP once.
- Now,if you ca access internal storage or SD card, then flash the AOSP Treble ROM, Gapps, and Magisk.
- If not, then connect the phone to the computer and copy the ROM, Gapps, Magisk, etc. into the phone storage or SD card.
- Flash the AOSP Treble ROM.
- It is better to boot into system before you flash Gapps, or Magisk, etc. to see if the ROM boots.
Now that you have Treble support on your Axon 7, you can flash any Android GSI onto it. You can flash the Android P GSI or the Android 8.1 Oreo GSI based on AOSP, Lineage OS, or Resurrection Remix.
If you would like to revert back to stock or factory state, flashing a full stock Fastboot ROM via EDL mode would be enough.