Table of Contents Hide
Google introduced Private DNS (or DNS over TLS) feature with Android 9 Pie beta 2, initially for the for Pixel series and later for all Android devices running 9 Pie or later. You can set it up on phones, tablets, box, or even TV. This is the best feature to come to Android ever.
What are the benefits of using DNS over TLS? Changing DNS can significantly boost the internet speed of you Android devices, WiFi routers, Windows and Linux machines. Some DNS may also be useful in unblocking blocked or throttled websites. Most importantly, a good DNS will provide security and privacy by adding additional layers of security and privacy. In most cases, your ISP should not be be able to track your online activity, usage, and the websites you visit.
Cloudflare also released their popular
220.127.116.11 DNS support for all all gadgets there are including WiFi routers, PC, workstations, and most recently Android devices with their DNS over TLS feature. Cloudflare claims that their DNS is faster and more secure than any other DNS available out there including the popular ones like Google DNS
18.104.22.168 and the OpenDNS. Now with Cloudflare’s private DNS feature support for Android, you can now test and setup their DNS on any of your devices.
Setup Cloudflare’s 22.214.171.124 Private DNS over TLS feature on Android 11, 10, 9 Pie?
Android now supports DNS over TLS feature for all including phones, tablets, TV, Box, and more. Here in this tutorial, we will show you how to setup Cloudflare’s new
126.96.36.199 DNS on Android easily. There are other ways to setup too. Howeevr, that requires a rooted device and a Magisk Module as well.
The list above consists of a lot of DNS. However, for Cloudflare’s DNS to work, the string listed does not work. So here is the correct Hostname for the same.
- Make sure your device is running Android 9 Pie or later.
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to Network & internet settings > Private DNS.
- Or simply search Private DNS from settings search bar on newer devices.
- In order to use DNS over TLS feature, select the Private DNS provider or custom DNS hostname. The name may vary depending on the device.
- Input the following string into the Private DNS section in order to use Cloudflare’s
Setup Quad9’s DNS over TLS feature
Alternatively, users can also use Quad9 DNS
188.8.131.52, for a more secure DNS service. They also support DNS over TLS feature. You can use the following string to set it up.
dns.quad9.netas the Hostname resolver to
More Private DNS
Latest Android 11, 10, and 9 Pie OS updates now support Private DNS over TLS feature on phones, tablets, Android TV/Box. Here is how to setup DNS Over TLS feature on Android devices and use Cloudflare’s 184.108.40.206 DNS for security, privacy, and faster internet speeds. You can also use the popular Google DNS for lower ping, dater browsing speeds. Alternatively, use the one of a kind Adguard DNS as a systemwide Adblocker for Android.
Here is a complete list of DNS providers. The list consists of Quad9’s
220.127.116.11, Surfnet, Cloudflare’s
18.104.22.168, UncensoredDNS, and many more.
Note that, you will need to input the string from Hostname for TLS authentication column. Let’s see an example on how to use Android 9 Pie’s DNS over TLS support.
For a complete secure network, you can also setup DNS over WiFi router. See instructions below.
How to install Cloudflare DNS onto WiFi router?
- Connect to your WiFi router.
- Enter your router’s IP address in your browser. Usually
- Input the username and password to log into your router. This information may be labeled on the router itself.
- In your router’s configuration page, locate the DNS server settings. Usually under Network > Advanced.
- Note down any existing DNS server entries for future reference.
- Replace or add the following DNS addresses:
- For IPv4: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
- You can also enable IPv6 in your router. (Optional)
- Save your settings, then restart your browser and router as well.
- Now visit our website and see how fast it is.
Alternatively, you can go to this page for more device setup.