Google recently announced and also released the new Android 7.1 Nougat Developer Preview for the three beloved Android smartphones including the Nexus 6P, 5X, and the Pixel C. The official Android v 7.1.0 was launched with the stunning Google Pixel (XL) phones with a new firmware build number NDE63P. The other Nexus devices in this range will receive the update later in the month of November. Since other Nexus users like Nexus 6,5,4,7,9 felt left behind, Android enthusiasts started porting the Google Pixel apps and features on their device and also the new Android 7.1 Nougat OS. However now, contributors have successfully ported the Pixel ROM onto their devices bringing the latest build Android v 7.1.0_r4 NDE63P.
Many of the Nexus devices did not receive even the official Nougat OTA update. Hence, this is a great news for all them. The ROMS listed below are custom ROMs and at their early stages. Hence, you may most likely come across some bugs or instability issues. The new Google apps like Camera, etc may not work at their full potential due to a difference in hardware configuration on your device.
You can basically install the Android 7.1 version by flashing custom ROMS listed below. These ROMS include Nitrogen OS, AOSP 7.1 ROM, Pixel ROM port, etc.
Features and screenshots of Android 7.1 Nougat based Pixel ROMS
- Integrate Wallpaper picker on Settings
- Integrate Google Backup & Sync on Settings
- Integrate Google Storage Manager
- Add Gesture menu on Settings
- Enable color temperature setting in developer options
- Use Ustwo wallpaper as default
- Add Google Wallpapers
- Stub APK can show round icons
Download Android 7.1 Nougat based Custom ROM for Nexus
Google Pixel ROM port package for Nexus 5 and Nexus 4
This is not an actual ROM but a package that you can flash via fastboot to get all the latest Google Pixel apps features and also the Android 7.1 Nougat ROM. The package includes Pixel Launcher, Google dialer, Contacts, Webview, backup transport, and much more.
Update to NDE63P(android-7.1.0_r4)
apply pixel boot animation, sounds, white navbar
apply latest pixel launcher
apply rounded icons for launcher
Very similar to Nexus Stock firmware
No root due to security reason.
Mobile data is disabled by default and can be enabled from settings.
Stock ROM users can use this ROM without performing a factory reset userdata partition.
Can be installed on other Custom ROMs
Nougat may be unstable.
Video recording feature in Google camera is unstable.
Use Footej camera
Google Play Movies issues.
Download Pixel ROM package for:
- Android 7.1 Nougat Pixel ROM for Nexus 5
→ Download | File: signed-hammerhead-img-20161025.zip
- Android 7.1 Nougat Pixel ROM for Nexus 4
→ Download | File: signed-occam-img-20161025.zip
Visit source for latest updates: Nexus 5, Nexus 4.
How to Install the Pixel ROM package fro Nexus 4 & 5?
- Turn off your device by holding power down button.
- Boot into fastboot by pressing power and volume down button.
- Once your Nexus 5 boots into fastboot mode, connect USB cable with your PC.
- Open command prompt/terminal where the Pixel ROM file is present.
- Now fastboot flash file by issuing the the following command.
Note: If you are running stock factory image or already use this ROM use the code:
$ fastboot update hammerhead-img-20160922.zip
OR: If you are running any other custom ROMs, you might want to clear userdata partition.
$ fastboot -w update hammerhead-img-20160922.zip
After flashing, wait about 5-10 minutes to complete booting.
Nougat Custom ROMS flashable via TWRP
Download Android 7.1 Nougat ROM for Nexus 6
- Nitrogen OS N → Download | File: Nitrogen-OS-shamu-20161024.zip 417MB
Nitrogen OS has been available for several Android devices since long. Users have reported this ROM to be working flawlessly with no major bugs. This is a pre-rooted ROM. So don’t flash SuperSU. There will be new updates available in future. Hence keep an eye on the source page.
The installation procedure via TWRP is listed below. You will also need to flash Android 7.1 Nougat Gapps with this ROM. The gapps are listed below.
Download 7.1.0_r4 Nougat ROM for Nexus 7
- Android 7.1 Nougat based CarbonROM for Nexus 7:
→ → Download Link | Visit source
This is a custom ROM that can be installed via TWRP. Check out the tutorial below. Visit source for nexus 7.
- Latest Android-7.1.0_r4 (NDE63P) - Webview: Update to 5.2 - Gradle-plugin: Update to 2.2 - SEPolicy: extra permissions for cppreopts & otapreopts
Download Google Apps (gapps) for Android 7.1 Nougat
You may need the gapps package with this AOSP and Nitrogen OS build. Simply download AOSP from above and flash via TWRP. If you find gapps missing, flash them from below. Sometimes the Gapps may cause problems as they are not yet stable wth the AOSP ROM ports. So it is advisable that you boot the ROM first and then later install gapps for Nougat.
- Android 7.1 Nougat compatible Google Apps:
→ GApps for arm devices → Download Link | for arm, arm64, x86 etc.
See: How to check if the device is arm, arm64, x86, etc?
Flash SuperSU 2.78 to root Android 7.1 Nougat
It has been confirmed that the latest SuperSU 2.78 stable works with the Android 7.0 Nougat AOSP ROM.
- Flash SuperUser for Root Access
→ SuperSU v2.78+ → Download Link
Download latest TWRP for Nexus devices
You may also like to flash the latest TWRP to bypass forced encryption problem.
TWRP download repository → Download link
Warning: Once you root or install a custom ROM, your warranty may be void. Even though the ROM has been tested by many Nexus users you should still be cautious about it and sometimes come across major issues. this is an unofficial AOSP procedure/ROM. Reader’s discretion is advised.
How to install Android 7.1 Nougat on Nexus device with a Pixel Custom ROM?
1. Unlocked Bootloader is required most commonly for custom TWRP recovery installation. If you have a custom recovery installed, then you can flash the ROMS right away.
2. Make sure you have a custom recovery installed on your device. Latest build from TWRP is highly recommended. Get the TWRP from the download section and get here to know how to flash it.
3. Make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC in order to transfer the files to your device’s internal storage. Get it from the official page of your device manufacturer.
Installation Instructions for Nougat AOSP
Here is are brief instructions to install custom ROM via TWRP. For a full tutorial, go to: How to Install Custom ROM using TWRP?
Step 1: Download the AOSP ROM and the compatible Google Apps from above. For root access, download the SuperSU file from above.
Step 2: Transfer all the necessary files to your device’s internal storage or SDcard.
Step 3: Reboot into TWRP recovery. Power off completely and then press and hold the power button and volume down key for a few seconds.
Step 3: Take full Nandroid backup: Backup partitions- system, data, boot, recovery, EFS and cache(optional).
Step 4: Wipe the current system.
Step 5: Tap Install, navigate to the AOSP ROM zip file and select it. Confirm action.
Step 6: Similarly, flash the compatible Google apps and SuperSU zip files.
Step 7: Reboot to system.
How to turn your Nexus into Google Pixel?
Install 3 basic apps from Google play store. Pixel launcher, Pixel icons, and google Wallpapers.
You may also like to see, How to restore Nexus back to stock? Simply flash Nexus Factory Image. Just in case you would like to revert back to stock, head over to this tutorial. Flash Android factory image. Like and share us on social media. If you need any help, then comment down below.
Subscribe to Newsletters via Email. Follow us on Google News and Join our Telegram Group! Also, support us by donating via PayPal.