Update: One UI Beta 3 ZRL5 and the previous Beta 2 ZRKA to ZRKL OTA update zip is now available for download. Samsung has now started rolling out the One UI Beta program for the Exynos variants of the Galaxy S9 devices based on Android 9.0 Pie. The beta firmware, formerly known as Samsung Experience 10, is now available for download in the regions of UK, Spain, France, Germany, and many other countries in Europe. Following the Snapdragon S9 and S9 Plus, that received similar update earlier this month in the United States, it is time for the international Exynos variants to get Android Pie.
Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960F) and S9 Plus (SM-G960F) phones are now receiving the official Android 9 Pie beta with a new firmware build number G965FXXU2ZRKL. The ZRKL is the second beta as opposed to the ZRKA that we have now. It is now live and cane be downloaded by signing up for the One UI Beta firmware using Samsung Members app. If your region or country is not listed there, you can simply download the OTA update zip listed below in the downloads section and update manually.
At the time of writing, Samsung released second One UI Beta update for Snapdragon as well as Exynos variants. The Beta 2 features a new software update version: G965FXXU2ZRKL / G965FOXM2ZRKG / G965FXXU2ZRKG coming from the previous ZRKA with an OTA update size of 707.35 MB. The new beta comes with the following bug fixes and change log: (translated from other language)
- Security Patch Level: November 1, 2018
- Delay screen on incoming call
- Group call not possible
- Swipe left or right does not work in the “Current Applications” menu
- The application closes when an image is moved to another gallery folder
- Face detection does not work after Samsung Internet has been updated
- Registration by face recognition not possible, fingerprint recognition does not work
- The alarm sounds only with vibration
- Another alarm is displayed on the lock screen even if no alarm is set
- The screen is truncated when we change YouTube to Landscape / Portrait mode
- The alarm does not ring at the set time
- When headphones are connected, no sound is heard
- During music playback, the speed changes and the sound is interrupted
- The high quality Samsung Music sound is broken
- There is a noise in music playback in Samsung Music via headphones
- The alarm will ring quietly even when set to the maximum level > > – A hum sounds when a notification is received while listening to music
- Interrupts music when playing a game and listening to music at the same time
- The sound of the camera shutter is interrupted
- Battery or alarm sound is not audible
- Fast battery drain during Netflix streaming with Chrome Cast
- The application is closed when the editor screen mode is called
- Sound interrupts on YouTube or sound sounds when using Voice Talk
- App icon / name will be truncated after updating on the home screen or apps screen
- The Apps screen and the app name overlap or an empty area can be seen instead
- Situation where multiple apps are closed
The update also features all the Android P goodies such as Adaptive Battery, Adaptive Brightness, Slice, Actions, Night Mode, revamped UI across the system and much more. Moreover, Samsung has also updated the beloved Good Lock 2018 app and all its plugins to support Android Pie including the Samsung gesture plugin One Hand Operations +. You can also use NavStar plugin now.
Samsung One UI Beta 3 for Exynos Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus (Android 9.0 Pie)
Update: Go from Beta 1, then flash Beta 2, Beta 2.5 hotfix, and finally the Beta 3 (ZRL5). It should work with all G960F and G965F variants.
Following we have the first build of the Android 9 Pie based on One UI for the Exynos Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus with build number G965FXXU2ZRKA. The ZRKA Beta 2 build is quite early to expect. We will list the firmware as soon as its is available. So stay tuned.
Moreover, this is an OTA update zip file. So you will need to install it using stock recovery or ADB sideload method; which is quite safer method. It should work on all the Exynos S9 variants. But we cannot guarantee further OTA update support. You will need to update manually in the future.
Beta 1: Android 9.0 Pie OTA update downloads (ZRKA)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960F | Download G960FXXS2BRJ6 to ZRKA (Mega)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus SM-G965F | Download G965FXXSBRJ6 to ZRKA (Mega)
Beta 2: OTA update downloads (ZRKL)
- Galaxy S9 SM-G960F | Download G960FXXU2ZRKA to ZRKL (Mega App)
- Galaxy S9 Plus SM-G965F | Download G965FXXU2ZRKA to ZRKL (Mega mirror)
Hotfix Beta 2.5: ZRKL to ZRKN:
This is a Hotfix for beta 2 to fix the VOLTE for some carriers, as reported by some users reported.
- Galaxy S9 SM-G960F | Download G960FXXU2ZRKL to ZRKN (Mega)
- Galaxy S9 Plus SM-G965F | Download G965FXXU2ZRKL to ZRKN (Mega mirror)
Latest Beta 3: ZRKN to ZRL5
- Galaxy S9 SM-G960F | Download G960FXXU2ZRKN to ZRL5 (Mega)
- Galaxy S9 Plus SM-G965F | Download G965FXXU2ZRKN to ZRL5 (Mega)
Note: Recommended to use the ADB sideload method listed below. Also, factory reset after.
You will also need:
How to update Exynos Galaxy S9 (Plus) to Android 9.0 Pie One UI Beta?
In order to update your Galaxy S9 (Plus) to Android 9.0 Pie One UI Beta, your phone needs to be on the Android 8.0 Oreo G960FXXS2BRJ6 or G965FXXS2BRJ6 stock firmware build. Once done, flash beta 1, beta 2/2.5, and beta 3 in that order.
While stock recovery OTA install method should work perfectly fine, here is the ADB sideload method:
- Make sure your device is a Exynos S9 Plus variant.
- Enable OEM Unlock, and USB Debugging from Developer Options on your device. To do so, go to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging from there.
- Make sure to setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows, Mac OS, Linux or Chrome OS.
Method 1: Stock recovery method
Step-1 Download the firmware zip file and move it into device storage. Also, rename the zip file to a convenient name. For instance, update.zip. However, that is completely optional.
Step-2 Switch off your device.
Step-3 Long press the Bixby button + volume up button + press the power button.
Step-4 You will see a black screen with options
Step-5 Press vol up + down to go to “Apply update from SD‘ > highlight that and press the power button.
Step-6 When you see the zip file, highlight it and press the power button.
Step-7 Now patiently wait for some minutes while the update installs.
Step-8 Repeat same procedure for Beta 1, Beta 2, and Beta 3.
Method 2: OTA installation via ADB sideload method:
Step 1: First, flash the G960FXXS2BRJ6 stock firmware build onto your S9 Plus device. If your phone is already on that build, skip this step and proceed.
Step 2: Download the Android P Beta OTA file from above. Transfer files to PC, Mac Book, or Linux machine.
Step 3: Connect Android phone to PC. Now open a command prompt or terminal window on your PC where the OTA update zip is present. To do so, type cmd in address bar and hit Enter key.
Step 4: Reboot your Galaxy phone into Recovery mode. To do so, issue the following command through cmd or terminal.
adb reboot recovery
Step 5: Now go to device recovery and select “Apply updates from ADB”.
Step 6: Navigate to the location where you have placed the OTA file on your PC. It’s time to flash the OTA by issuing the following command. (Note that you type the exact name with its proper extension.)
adb sideload <filename>.zip
Note: Here it will be adb sideload update.zip Put the exact file name in the <filename> section without “<>” and proper extension.
Step 7: Approve the update and wait till the upgrade completes.
Reboot device to system. Alternatively, while, on Mac OS, you can issue “./adb sideload <filename>.zip” command or on Linux type “sudo adb sideload <filename>.zip” to flash the OTA. Check out the complete tutorial from here.