Table of Contents
- 1. Resurrection Remix ROM for Poco F1
- 2. Lineage OS ROM for Poco F1
- 3. Official AOSP Extended ROM for Poco F1
- 4. Android Open Source Illusion Project ROM for Poco F1
- How to Install Custom ROMS on Xiaomi Poco F1?
Xiaomi’s Poco F1 has shortly become one of the most popular phones in the market. This is due to the high end hardware specification at a very low price. However, taking a look at the Poco F1’s software reviews from the community (MIUI 10), it is riddled with bugs. Though Xiaomi is pushing several OTA updates to fix these, it is quite slow. It seems like the MIUI firmware for Pocophone is half-baked and needs a lot of improvements. So your best bet to get the most out of your Xiaom Poco F1 is to flash a custom ROM. Here are some of the best custom ROMS for Poco F1, codenamed beryllium. The device is meant for development after all. So why not flash a custom ROM and make the most out of that stunning hardware.
1. Resurrection Remix ROM for Poco F1
The latest version of this particular custom ROM is Resurrection Remix v6.2.0. Resurrection Remix is a highly customizable and light weight custom ROM which is based on Lineage sources and AOSP sources. The ROM has a dedicated configuration section where you can tweak the system as you want. This way you don’t need to flash external mods like Xposed Framework.
Most importantly, RR ROM is now available officially for the Poco F1. Here is the stable nightly build for the same. Resurrection Remix 6.2.0 is currently based on Android 8.1 Oreo. However, the RR ROM team is also working on Android 9.0 Pie to the plate. So stay tuned and get Android 9.0 Pie soon for the Xiaomi Poco F1.
Download official Resurrection Remix ROM for Poco F1:
2. Lineage OS ROM for Poco F1
Lineage OS is the most popular custom ROM for various Android phones. Following the footsteps of its parent ROM CyanogenMod, LineageOS has quickly grasped attention in the Android community. The Lineage OS 15.1 is now available for download for the Xiaomi Poco F1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
However, this is the unofficial build. But it is quite stable for that matter. Official Lineage OS 15.1 links are listed below.
All the features are working with the unofficial build including:
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- Video Playback
With the current build, everything is working except the IR camera. With further development we will see more such ROMS.
Official Lineage OS ROM for Poco F1
Soon the official stable nightly build of Lineage OS will be uploaded on the official LineageOS downloads repository here.
It will also be updated at the following link once the development is complete.
Soon the Lineage OS 15.1 nightly builds will be released as well as LineageOS 16 based on Android 9.0 Pie.
3. Official AOSP Extended ROM for Poco F1
This is the first build of the AOSP Extended ROM for Poco F1 and it is already official. The ROM is close to stock Android and is very fast for that matter as it does not have any bloatware that could hamper the performance.
AOSP Extended is based on the latest AOSP sources (Android Open Source Project) that Google releases on a regular basis. It will give you pure stock Android user interface and various customization options. On top of that you get AOSP extended features like Substratum theme engine support, DU Font Engine, DUI (Fling/Pulse/Smartbar), One Handed UI, MicroG, AppOps, smooth, lag-free experience, and much more. The ROM is based on Android 8.1 Oreo and soon to be updated to Android P.
4. Android Open Source Illusion Project ROM for Poco F1
The Android Open Source Illusion Project is similar to AOSP Extended ROM but with not customization. It is plain and simple AOSP stock firmware released by Google. This makes the ROM even faster with no lag whatsoever. Most importantly, as this is the official build, everything is working. It is upon you to customize and theme the ROM with new Android P Launcher, Pixel Launcher, Nova Launcher, and more.
How to Install Custom ROMS on Xiaomi Poco F1?
Here are some of the requirements to installing a custom ROM on Poco F1.
- Unlocked Bootloader is required to flash a Custom ROM. Most commonly to setup a custom TWRP recovery.
- Your device needs latest TWRP recovery installed. Thus you can flash the ROMS easily.
- Make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC in order to transfer the files to your device’s internal storage. Download Xiaomi USB Drivers.
- You will also need to setup ADB and Fastboot environment on your PC.
- Enable ADB Debugging from Developer Options.
Step 1: Unlock Bootloader on Poco F1
- First, head over to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on the “Mi Unlock Status“ option.
- Tap on the “Add account and device“ option.
- Now, go to
en.miui.com/unlockand click on “Unlock Now“.
- Log into your Mi account or sigh up for a new one if you haven’t already.
- Click on the Unlock Now option again and fill in the details. To be safe you can fill in the reason as: (Facing problems installing OTA update. Need to flash a global ROM manually.) Or something similar.
- Apply for the unlock code.
- An unlock code will be sent to you via SMS. Note: Depending on your device, the unlock code may take 3 or more days. in the box, then press Next.
- Once done, install the
miflash_unlocktool on your computer.
- Launch “
miflash_unlock.exe” file as administrator.
- Again, log into your Mi account.
- Reboot Xiaomi phone into Fastboot mode. To do so, turn off phone completely and then press and hold Volume Down button + Power button.
- Connect your Xiaomi phone to PC in Fastboot mode.
- The Mi Unlock tool should detect the phone.
- Click on “Unlock” to unlock Xiaomi phone’s Bootloader.
- Reboot to system.
Step 2: Download and install TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Poco F1
Once you have successfully unlocked the Bootloader on your device, it is time to install a custom TWRP recovery. Typically, the official TWRP recovery build should be updated here:
- The official stable build from TWRP will be listed here.
However, as the device is new, we only have the unofficial TWRP for Poco F1.
- TWRP 3.2.3 V2 Unofficial by the Strix
- TWRP with fix to support MicroSD (rename to
- Dark TWRP Recovery V2 by ronks4pda
- Red Wolf TWRP Recovery
Installation of TWRP: See how to Install TWRP recovery on Android devices.
Step 3: Installing a Custom ROM on Poco F1
Step 1: Download your favorite custom ROM from above. Also, download the compatible Google Apps (Gapps) from here. If you want to root Poco F1, then download the latest Magisk package from here. You may also like Force Encryption Disabler V2 for Magisk 17.2. Transfer all the necessary files to you device’s internal storage or SDcard.
Step 2: Now reboot into TWRP recovery. To do so, turn off your device completely and then press and hold the power button and volume down key for a few seconds.
Step 3: Take a Nandroid backup: Backup all partitions including system, data, boot, recovery, EFS and cache(optional).
Step 4: Wipe the current system.
Step 5: Tap Install, navigate to the custom ROM zip file and select it. Confirm action.
Step 6: Similarly, flash the compatible Google apps zip file, Magisk zip, and Force Encryption Disabler simultaneously.
Step 7: Reboot to system.
For a detailed tutorial: How to Install Lineage OS ROM on Android devices. The development has begun for Xiaomi’s Poco F1. Here are the Best Custom ROMS for Xiaomi Poco F1. See how to Unlock Bootloader, root, install TWRP and flash a custom ROM on Poco F1.