Table of Contents
Nokia 8 is now receiving Android 9.0 Pie beta OTA update. Yes, the manufacturer’s popular Beta Lab program is now accepting Nokia 8 user registrations for the latest Android OS upgrade. Earlier this week, the Chief Product Officer at HMD – Juho Sarvikas, tweeted that Nokia 8 phones can finally be updated to Android 9.0 Pie from their official site. Here is the complete tweet
Thank you for your patience. Since you had to wait a bit longer than expected for Android 9 on your Nokia 8, we decided to make an immediate Beta Labs release. Please join us in finalizing the commercial release – your feedback is extremely valuable ?https://t.co/siaoX5g3vj pic.twitter.com/s33qsBAgOq
— Juho Sarvikas (@sarvikas) December 11, 2018
We have seen Nokia roll out official Android 9 Pie for devices like Nokia 7 (Plus), Nokia 6.1, and the latest Nokia 8 as well. You can either sign up for the Nokia Lab to install Android 9 Pie onto Nokia 8, or download the OTA zip and flash it using stock recovery. Moreover, you can now start Unlocking Booloader on your Nokia devices and finally root your Android phone. So if you have installed a custom TWRP recovery on your Nokia 8, then we have a solution for updating your phone as well.
Android 9 Pie OTA update for Nokia 8 now features:
- New system navigation, settings menu and notifications
- Adaptive Battery power prioritization for users’ most commonly used apps/ services
- Adaptive and optimized brightness levels
- Predictive Application Actions
- New camera with new UI, Google Lens, and Google motion integration
- Much more.
Download Nokia 8 Android 9.0 Pie Beta OTA update
Official Nokia 8 OTA updates are listed below. it features new firmware build number V5.110.
Nokia 8 Android 9.0 Pie beta: (leaked closed beta)
Following are the unofficial OTA download links captured from the internal Android 9 Pie beta testing program. The OTA update has been tested working on most of the Nokia 8 variants. This is the same firmware build v5.110.
- Beta 1 – NB1-5110-0-00WW-B03-488L-0-00WW-B01
- Beta 2 – NB1-5110-0-00WW-B05-5110-0-00WW-B03
- Beta 3 – NB1-5110-0-00WW-B07-5110-0-00WW-B05
Nokia 8 Android 8.1 Oreo stable:
- December 2018 security patch (
Stock boot image for TWRP:
Following is the TWRP boot image patch for upgrading to Android 9 Pie. Flash it before flashing the ROM.
How to update Nokia 8 to Android 9.0 Pie Beta?
It is recommended to unlock bootloader just in case anything goes wrong.
Method 1: Via sideloading OTA zip
- Make sure your device is on the December security patch based on Oreo for Nokia 8 listed above.
- To do so, download the OTA update zip file from above.
- Transfer the OTA zip to phone storage in root folder. Meaning, not inside any folder.
- Open Phone App or dialer app and dial *#*#874#*#* to update.
- Wait for the update to finish and restart when prompted.
- Repeat the same steps for official Android 9.0 Pie Beta or the closed beta 1, beta 2, and beta 3.
Method 2: Via ADB sideload method
You can also flash the OTA update zip via ADB. See the full tutorial on how to install OTA updates.
Thanks to czupyt at XDA forums for the links.