OnePlus is rolling out official Android 8.1 Oreo update for the OnePlus 5 and 5T with a new firmware build OxygenOS 5.1. With Open Beta 6 the manufacturer became one of the first to release Android 8.1 for the flagships phones. Only a handful of devices run the latest Oreo update such as the Essential Phones, Razer Phone, Sony Xperia, Huawei, etc. Now, the OnePlus has stepped into the update game with latest Android 8.1 update. So download and install Oxygen OS 5.1 for OnePlus 5/5T.
This is the official OxygenOS. So all you need to do is simply go to settings, system updates, and check for OTA updates. If you get the latest Android 8.1 Oreo update notification, download and install it. The OTA zip weighs about 766 MB in size. But this only applies for the devices running on stable Oxygen OS 5.0.4. For devices on Open Beta, we have listed the signed full firmware zips for the two devices below. So it is easy for you to manually upgrade your phones.
Changelog: OxygenOS 5.1 for OnePlus 5/5T
Apart from the latest Oreo firmware, the update also comes with April 2018 Android Security Patch. This makes OnePlus 5 or 5T on the same platform as the Google Pixel or Nexus phones. You will also see a new Gaming Mode support and optimizations. The OnePlus Launcher has two new features that adds category tags in the search section of the app drawer and auto naming of folders based on categories.
- Updated system to Android™ 8.1 Oreo™
- Updated Android security patch to 2018-04
- Added full-screen gesture support (Only 5T)
- Added new optimizations in gaming mode including power saving and pausing adaptive brightness
- Added network boost – network priority for gaming App in the foreground
- Added category tags in the search section of the app drawer
- Auto name folders based on category
Download Oxygen OS 5.1 for OnePlus 5/5T
- OxygenOS 5.1.0 Full stock firmware zip for OnePlus 5
- Downloads Official | AFH
- MD5: 3c234748680d2c35531d2f7aef3ed59a
You may also like:
- OOS 5.0.4 Full Zip Official | Mega | AFH
- TWRP (Unlocked Users) Codeworkx TWRP | Blu_Spark TWRP
- Flash Magisk 16.3 to root Android
- Stock Recovery: Official | G-Drive
You may also like:
- Oxygen OS 5.0.4 Full Zip Official | Mega | AFH
- TWRP Codeworkx TWRP | Blu_Spark TWRP
- Root Magisk (see above)
- Stock Recovery
How to install OxygenOS 5.1 for OnePlus 5/5T?
There are multiple ways to update OnePlus devices to the latest firmware update.
Method 1: How to capture OTA update zip?
Download OTA and install using stock recovery or ADB sideload method. If your device is on Open Beta update, then see the second Local upgrade method below.
- Make sure your OnePlus 5/5T is on the latest previous OxygenOS update.
- Download and install a VPN app like Opera VPN.
- Launch the VPN app and change the device location to Canada or Germany.
- Now go to Settings > System updates > check for OTA update.
- Download the OTA update listed
- Approve for installation.
The above files are full firmware updates. See how to install full Oxygen OS firmware packages using Local Upgrade method.
Method 1: How to update OnePlus using Local upgrade method via full stock firmware zip?
- First, download the full stock firmware zip from above for the OxygenOS 5.1.
- Transfer the files to the root of phone storage. Meaning, outside every folder.
- Now go to Settings> System update> Tap on the top right settings icon > Choose local Upgrade.
- The Local Upgrade option will search for an OxygenOS package.
- Once you see an upgrade package, tap over it and then hit the install option.
Method 3: Update for rooted users on TWRP
This method requires the latest TWRP recovery. Make sure you have the modded recovery listed above setup on your device.
- Download and transfer the OxygenOS 5.1 firmware from above to device storage.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery.
- Take a full backup.
- Tap on in install and flash the OOS zip.
- Flash Magisk for root.
- Wipe cache.
- Reboot to system.