Table of Contents Hide
OnePlus has proved it again that it is not some wannabe Android smartphone manufacturer anymore. Where a lot of smartphone manufacturers fail, OnePlus brings Project Treble support to OnePlus 5 and 5T devices. Treble support comes to OnePlus phones with the latest Open Beta 13 and Beta 11. So download and install the latest Open Beta 13/11 for OnePlus 5/5T right now! We will also show you how to install generic Project Treble ROMs onto OnePlus 5 and 5T devices.
With Project Treble, you can flash the latest generic (AOSP) build of Android OS, such as Android 9.0 P, onto any Project Treble enabled devices (once available). This means a lot to Android fanatics as there is still hope that Project Treble can be achieved on older Android phones not shipped with 8.0 Oreo out of the box.
Does this mean Project Treble could come to OnePlus 3 and 3T as well? Well, time will tell. But we hope to see Treble support for all Android devices.
Treble is not the only thing that comes with the latest Beta OTA update. Open Beta 13 or Beta 11 features a brand new user interface. This means, OnePlus is testing out a unique skin and UX for the Oxygen OS. So if people like it, we might as well see a brand new Oxygen OS build for stable versions as well. It also supports accent color customization, new OnePlus Launcher upgrades, phone and weather app updates.
Here is the full changelog of the update:
- A brand new user interface
- Supported accent color customization
- Feel free to customize any color you like with a color wheel
- Entry: Settings – Display – Customization
- Supported Project Treble
- After several months of evaluation and hard work, we finally found a solution to make this possible, and we are very excited to share this good news with you.
- Improved search tags in the app drawer
- Added “New installs” category tag in the app drawer
- Improved app list for hidden space and toolbox
- Optimized logic for the contacts page
- Brand new design with improved user experience
Download Project Treble enabled Open Beta builds for OnePlus 5/5T
Note: Before you download and install, some users at the OnePlus forums have reported of this build being unstable and may cause bootloops or force close on some apps for the OnePlus 5T. So flash it at your own risk.
The update may be pulled. But the update will soon be available. So stay tuned for updated links.
Here are the full stock firmware downloads for OnePlus 5 and 5T:
- Open Beta 13 for OnePlus 5 | Direct Download | AFH Mirror
- Open Beta 12 for OnePlus 5T | Direct Download | AFH Mirror
Previous OxygenOS Open Beta updates:
How to Install latest Open Beta update to get Project Treble for OnePlus 5 and 5T?
Notes and requirements:
- Due to Project Treble support build, your device needs to be either on the previous Open Beta 12 for OnePlus 5 and Open Beta 10 for OnePlus 5T. See above for downloads. See how to install.
- Or if your device is running latest stable Oxygen OS 5.1.3 or later, you will need to factory reset your device or wipe (clear) all data and cache partitions from stock recovery mode; before flashing the latest Open Beta Treble build.
- Moreover, if your device is running Open Beta 12/10 for OnePlus 5/5T, you will receive the OTA notification. See OTA update section below.
- If you flash Open Beta, you will no longer receive the regular Oxygen OS Stable OTA. But instead the Open Beta OTA.
- Rolling to back to Oxygen OS means you will need to perform a factory reset again.
How to install?
- Go through the notes and requirements.
- Download the latest OxygenOS Open Beta 13 for OnePlus 5 or Open Beta 11 for OnePlus 5T. Get the full firmware package from above.
- Transfer the Oxygen OS ROM file to the internal storage or phone storage. Place the zip file outside every folder. See the image below.
- Now, go to Settings app, and visit System updates and tap on the top right settings icon. Choose Local Upgrade.
- The Local Upgrade option will search for an upgrade package.
- Once you see an upgrade package, tap over it and then hit the install option.
The device will automatically reboot and perform an upgrade. First boot may take a few minutes. If it doesn’t, you may want to perform a factory reset. However, doing so may result in loss of data.
How to download OTA updates?
Meanwhile, you can capture the OTA update using a VPN app. The OTA is live in regions of Germany and Canada. So download a VPN app like Turbo VPN and change the location to the countries and check for OTA updates.
How to install Project Treble generic AOSP build?
Once you have successfully installed the latest Open Beta update, download the Project Treble Checker app from Play Store adn see if it’s enabled.
If Project Treble is enabled, head over to the Project Treble installation page to get the generic build of latest AOSP and flash it.
Source: OnePlus forums