Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ have seen Oreo Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, and a Beta 3 HotFix. Now, the manufacturer is rolling out the official Android 8.0 Oreo Beta 4 for the Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U, G950F, G950N) and the Galaxy S8 Plus (SM-G955U, G955F, G955N) The OTA is currently rolling out in South Korea, the UK, and will soon come to the United States. This is going to be the final Oreo Beta build. The stable Android 8.0 rollout will begin in January for USA, Europe, Asia, North America, etc. Later it will come to Note 8, S7, S7 Edge, S6 (Edge), Note 5.
Samsung’s Oreo Beta 4 first came to the South Korean variant with firmware build number G950NKSU1ZQL8 and G955NKSU1ZQL8 for S8 and S8+ respectively. However, the international variant which is the UK with model numbers G950F is receiving the OTA update with build number G950FXXU1ZQL8 and G955FXXU1ZQL8. This is for the Exynos variants. The USA Snapdragon variant will show up anytime soon today.
Stay tuned as we will upload the OTA downloads as we did with the previous updates. Currently, the update files are not available. Once they are, we will upload it here. So stay tuned. We will also show you how to update your Galaxy S8 to Android 8.0 Oreo regardless of the variant. See the screenshots from below.
What’s new with the Samsung Oreo Beta 4 OTA update?
The software update log for Korean variants only provides a summary of what’s new with the Beta 4. This includes:
- Device stability improvements,
- bug fixes
- New and/or enhanced features
- Further improvements to performance.
However, thanks to the Samsung Members’ Beta notice, we have the full changelog with each and every detail. The Samsung’s 4th Beta Software Update (Dec. 14th) based on Samsung Experience 9.0 Beta comes with numerous bug fixes.
Bug Fix –
- Galaxy Apps is intermittently force closed.
- Battery consumption is excessive. – The iris sensor is not responding.
- The device keeps freezing for longer than 5 seconds.
- Samsung Theme is intermittently force closed.
- Messaging force closes whenever emoji is selected.
- Settings are intermittently force closed.
- Sometimes device overheats and reboots while
playing a game.
- Notification doesn’t disappear after reading the message.
- Phone is intermittently not recognizing the memory card.
- Sync errors with Samsung Cloud.
- Failed to log-in to the Samsung Account.
- Device sometimes reboots during idle.
- Failed to recognize Kakao Bank ID card.
- Device randomly vibrates.
- Wi-Fi is turned on while playing video on the internet.
- Pictures are not shown in the gallery.
- Playing motion photo force closes.
- GameTools intermittently force closes when starting a game.
Looking at the changelog we can say the previous OTA updates did come with several bugs. There were a bunch of force closes with the Galaxy Apps and the Samsung themes. Thankfully, the force close bugs have been fixed.
The Iris scanner bug has now been fixed with at times did not respond. The device no longer reboots when while playing games and also does not turn off the WiFi.
The excessive battery drain has now finally been fixed. Some users reported that the latest Oreo Beta 4 is the fastest update yet. The system transition is smooth and fast. So this is a must-have update for all the Beta testers.
Firmware information for South Korean variants:
- OTA Download size is about 536.79 MB.
- Version: PDA: G950NKSU1ZQL8 and G955NKSU1ZQL8
- CSC: G950NOKR1ZQL8
Software update information for UK variants
- OTA Download size is about 800 MB.
- Firmware PDA: G950FXXU1ZQL8 and G955FXXU1ZQL8
- CSC: G950FXXU1ZQL8
You may also like:
In order to download the OTA update, simply go to Settings app > Software Updates > and Download OTA update manually. If you are a beta tester, you will be notified of any OTA update. Meanwhile, go to Samsung Members app and see the update notice.
Stay tuned for the OTA download links and TWRP flashable backups.