Table of Contents Hide
With Oreo taking the forefront, we are seeing custom ROMS based on Android 8.1 Oreo popping up everywhere. Developers are more inclined to bring its custom build for various devices based on the latest Android version. Google released the official 8.1 Oreo for all of its Nexus and Pixel phones with the December 2017 Security Patch. As of recent, Android 8.1 Oreo for many Xiaomi devices are showing up including the first build for the Redmi Note 3.
Thanks to developer xyyx, we are now seeing an Nitrogen OS 8.1 Oreo build for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. This one is a custom ROM based on Android v8.1. However, before you just flash the ROM, remember that this is still an unofficial port and a first build. Most of the features work fine, though you may find a few are glitches here and there. The ROM is called NitrogenOS.
We have included the direct download link for the custom Oreo OS. Also, we have explained below on how to install it manually. The custom ROMs have always provided endless possibilities for many developers and smartphones alike. Recently LineageOS 14.1 for Xiaom Mi A1 was made available in the custom skin.
What’s functional features come with Nitrogen OS for Xiaomi?
Android 8 for Xiaomi devices is a huge leap by the dev team towards creating a more open source interface. Hopefully, most of the features are working perfectly.
- Mobile data
- SELinux (permissive)
Being on test build, having semi working features or bugs are quite ritualistic. So here the few glitchy functionalities.
- A random bug of sim detection after boot-up
- VOLTE video call
- Need to turn Wi-Fi off and on display after adding
We are hopeful that these will be resolved in the future builds.
Here are some screenshots of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 running Android Oreo.
How To Install Android 8.1 Oreo For All Xiaomi Devices?
Note: The download section is listed at the bottom. This is a custom ROM so your device need to have a unlocked bootloader and a custom TWRP recovery setup.
Note 2: Currently, the Nitrogen OS ROM based on Android 8.1 Oreo is only available for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. More will be updated soon.
Before flashing the ROM, follow these points below.
- Unlock Bootloader on your device.
- From TWRP, take a full Nandroid backup of your data.
- Keep full battery charge on your device.
- Warranty of your device may be void by installing custom ROM.
- AndroidSage won’t be responsible if your device gets damaged during flashing.
Custom ROM Installation Steps
Here is a short tutorial. For detailed steps, visit this Lineage OS 15 ROM flashing guide.
- Download the ROM and GApps.
- Move the files from PC to the device storage.
- Install the latest TWRP on your device.
- Then reboot to TWRP.
- Perform a full wipe of Cache, Dalvik cache, and system etc.
- Flash the ROM file from the Recovery.
- Now flash the GApps.
- To complete the process, reboot the device.
Download Android 8.1 Oreo for Xioami Note 3
Here is the download link for the AOSP based custom OS.
- Nitrogen OS 8.1 Oreo | Download
- Stable Nitrogen OS 8.0 Oreo | Downloads
- Android 8.1 Oreo ROM for Xiaomi Devices | Download | zip file
- Latest GApps for Android 8.1 Oreo
- TWRP Recovery | Download
So, that’s about it. Install the ROM and let your Xiaomi devices have a bite of Oreo.
Keep scrolling on AndroidSage and follow our social media handles for all latest updates on custom OS releases based on Android O.