Table of Contents Hide
OnePlus 5 is hands down one of the best devices to own especially if you’re in the market for a developer friendly product. While OnePlus seems to have run into various issues as of late, it’s always better to own a device that would still get support down the line (community support that is).
The OnePlus 5 has an abundance of Custom ROM and mod support, primarily due to folks over at XDA who are the reason behind OnePlus’s popularity. The Chinese upstart presented its two takes on Android Nougat, namely with HydrogenOS and OxygenOS. While the latest HydrogenOS is by no means lacking in any regard, OxygenOS is near and dear to all users around the due to its clean and vanilla presentation and a few additional features to enhance productivity and functionality.
Although Chinese users are traditionally provided with HydrogenOS sans Google Play Functionality, there are various methods online to flash OxygenOS on your device.
Unfortunately, most of these ‘guides’ are untested and have been known to brick your device but not anymore. Users can follow the guide mentioned down below and safely install OxygenOS on their OnePlus 5 without any issues whatsoever.
How To Install OxygenOS over HydrogenOS On OnePlus 5
- Unlocked Bootloader | Guide | Tool
- TWRP Recovery | Download
- ADB Drivers | Download
- Magisk V13.3 | Download
- SuperSU V2.82 | Download
- OxygenOS (OOS) 4.5.6 Full Zip | Download
- Ensure that you have an Unlocked Bootloader. Refer to our guide in the above section
- Head over to Settings and Tap Build Number a few times to enable Developer Options.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging
- Install ADB Drivers provided above and connect your device to PC
- Connect your device to PC and allow debugging access
- Navigate to where you have installed your ADB drivers and move your TWRP recovery file to the location
- Open command window (Shift+ Right Click > Open Command Window Here) and type the following command:
fastboot flash recovery (file name).img
Note: It is better to rename your TWRP recovery to ‘recovery’ so that the command now looks like
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Ensure that the OOS 4.5.6 and Magisk zip files are located at the root of your internal storage
- Reboot device and enter TWRP Recovery (Press volume key when Bootloader Unlocked notification comes up)
- Flash OOS 4.5.6 zip file
- (Optional) Flash Magisk V13.3 to gain root access.
- Wipe Cache and Dalvik/ART Cache
This method is as safe as it gets in order to flash OxygenOS ROM on your OnePlus 5. The same guide can also be followed if you’re coming from a custom ROM and wish to revert to Stock.