Last year, back in October 2020, OnePlus released Android 11 for the entire OnePlus 8 series including the 8, 8 Pro, 8T, and 8T Pro. Android 11 first cane to the 8 series with the Open Beta program, soon followed by a stable release featuring Oxygen OS 11 for the global variants. However, due to carrier restrictions, Oxygen OS 11 stable release for the OnePlus 8 North American got delayed until next year.
Today, T-Mobile and Verizon finally pushed stable Android 11 OTA update for OnePlus 8. Verizon became the first carrier to release Android 11 for OnePlus 8 series. Immediately followed by T-Mobile in the United States. The global variants have already received the OTA last year.
The latest update features Oxygen OS 11 with all the Android 11 goodies including powerful device controls, easier way to manage conversations with quick reply in notification panel, privacy features, Nearby Sharing, and much more. Some of the newer features include improved device & media controls, manage your conversations in one place, built-in screen recording.
Additionally, the OTA also features Oxygen OS 11 goodies like fresh new user interface, revamped visual design, brand-new weather app, Game Space, Ambient Display, Dark Mode, Zen Mode, Gallery, and much more.
Oxygen OS 11 (Android 11) features and changelog
Following is the complete changelog from Oxygen OS 11 for the global variants. We expect the same features or more for the T-Mobile or Verizon variants of OnePlus 8.
- Fresh new UI visual design brings you a more comfortable experience with various optimizations of details.
- Brand-new weather UI supports dynamic switches between sunrise and sunset. You can have day and night at your hand now.
- Optimized stability on some third-party applications and improved user experience.
- Game Space
- Newly added gaming tools box for convenient switches of Fnatic mode. You can now choose three ways of notifications: text-only, heads up and block, just for your immersive gaming experience.
- Newly added quick reply feature in a small window for Instagram and WhatsApp. (Enable it by swiping down from upper right/left corners of the screen in gaming mode)
- Newly added mis-touch prevention feature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will pop out.
- Ambient Display
- Added Always-on ambient Display function, custom Schedule/All day option included. (To set: Settings > Display > Ambient Display)
- Newly added Insight clock style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data. (To set: Settings > Customization > Clock Style)
- Newly added 10 new clock styles. (To set: Settings > Customization > Clock Style)
- Dark Mode
- Added the shortcut key for Dark Mode, pull down the quick setting to enable.
- Supporting automatically turn on feature & customize time range. (To set: Settings > Display > Dark Mode > Turn on automatically > Automatically enable from sunset to sunrise/Custom time range.)
- Zen Mode
- Added 5 new themes (ocean, space, grassland, and so on), and more timing options.
- Included the Group feature in Zen Mode, now you can invite your friends and enable the Zen Mode together.
- Story function supported, automatically forming weekly videos with photos and video in storage.
- Loading speed optimized, and the image preview is now faster.
- The widget on the desktop might disappear. It can be set as followed: Long press on the desktop -“Widget” – “Settings” – Select the widget.
Checkout the introductory video of OnePlus’s Oxygen OS 11 based on Android 11. Also, download stable Oxygen OS 11 for OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro listed below.