Google released a new version of its stock camera app with the Android 8.1 Oreo firmware update for the flagships Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Google also deployed a new camera 2 API for the same which brought several enhancements to the Pixel camera and pictures taken. It is truly a revolutionary camera app and rated one of the best in Android community. Although natively for Pixel and Nexus devices, developer have started porting this app onto their own devices. So download and install latest Google Camera Gcam APK for the Samsung Galaxy devices here.
Fortunately, a lot of new phones support the camera 2 API by default. So the port was seamless. All you need to do is download the proper Google Camera app and install it as normal APK. The latest version of the Google Camera for the Samsung Galaxy devices is originally ported mainly for the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge devices. However, with a little bit of tweaks, it is now possible to also make it work on the Galaxy S8, S8+, Note 8, and many other device running stock Samsung Experience ROM on both the variants Snapdragon and Exynos.
There are several versions of the Gcam APK available. However we have found the best possible Google Camera port for the Samsung phones as well. It supports all the features like the Portrait mode for front/back camera, HDR+ front/back cam, photo sphere, panorama, and much more. You also get tons of customization options in the settings like the NonZSL HDR+ Auto exposure-mode, NonZSL HDR+ under-exposure multiplier, HDR+ configuration options, device selection, lens blur, and many more. Most importantly, the motion picture found exclusively in the Google Pixel phones is also present here.
Download latest Google Camera for Samsung Galaxy devices
Update: Go for the GCam v8.3b version 1 or later from below. The following are direct APK installation files.
- Portrait mode front/back cam
- HDR+ front/back cam
- Photo Sphere
- Lens Blur
Google Camera for Samsung Gcam v8.3b version 2.9
- Stability: Good
- Added 12.6 MP Lens Blur
- Merged all the v8.2b extra features into this. This could be the the best version.
- Removed some slow shutter option.
- New ISO options.
- Both Lens Blur with Portrait mode can now be enabled.
- Added toggles for Snapdragon variants that had pink portrait problems.
- Changed some noise reduction code that could increase the definition of the photos
- Changed allocated memory.
- Added Italian language.
- Rearranged a bit the menu the have to most used stuff on the very first settings menu
To fix white level, clean install is a MUST. After the first boot of the app make sure you force close and re-open it.
Google Camera for Samsung Pixel2Mod base v7
- Stability: Good
- Working Portrait Mode (May be broken for Snapdragon variants)
- Fixed black screen for some Exynos variants
- Removed slowmo
- Flash may not be working for some.
- Bookmark this page for further updates.
Google Camera for Samsung Gcam v8.2
These are the previous stable versions of the modded Google Camera 5.1.018+.
- Download Google Camera v8.2 Base
- Google Camera v8.2 mirror | Download Gcam APK
- Google Camera v5 stable for Samsung | Download Gcam APK
– Some extra setting (HDR+ smoothing, analog gain etc.)
– Completely changed settings menu with icons
Download AR Stickers for Oreo
Google Camera 8.3+ settings for Samsung Galaxy phones:
- The best way to configure is to test out
- Set non zsl hdr+ underexposure multiplier to 50% or less.
- HDR+ denoise multiplier front is recommended at 100%. Rear camera needs to be 150%-200%.
- Metering mode center weighted or Gcam
- Advanced HDR+parameters to Very High (Set Low for faster shutter speed.)
- config camera HDR+ to Pixel 2017 zsl hdr+
- Turn on HDR+front camera fix.
- In developer settings unchecked – camera.micro
Settings for Google Camera for Samsung devices
As this Google Camera app has been configured for the Samsung Galaxy S7, all you need to do is install the app and use it directly without any settings. Howeevr, do the following first.
- Uninstall any earlier installed Google Camera app version.
- Clean install or clear data when you launch the app for the first time.
- If the settings do not apply correctly, force close it and run the app again.
- If the app hangs during processing a HDR+ or portrait shot, it could be due to memory leak. You may need to restart the phone.
For the Samsung Galaxy, the ideal settings look like this:
- Model: Nexus 6
- Portrait mode on all models: on
- camera.af.debug.show: off (Under)
- camera.faceboxes: on
Some of the options on the Samsung devices may not work. Note 8: Rear camera touch to focus not work. For Galaxy S8, S8+ Oreo, Pixel 2017 config may not work, so use Nexus 6 auto instead. Go to settings, advanced, choose “Config camera HDR+”, and choose Nexus 6 Hdr+ Auto.
For the latest Google Camera version 8, clear data, launch app, enter settings, force close app, relaunch app. You will have all the settings listed above.
Some major settings to note:
- NonZSL HDR+ Auto exposure-mode: For low light and static objects, use “Slow shutter”. For environments in good light, choose any.
- NonZSL HDR+ under-exposure multiplier: This method may cause the well known rainbow effect sometimes. You can mitigate this effect by lowering underexposure. Dynamic range will go down.
- Advanced: HDR+ front camera fix: For the Galaxy S7 Exynos. If HDR+ works you without this setting on front cam, turn it off.
Thanks to IDan1109