Google recently released the official Android 7.1.2 Nougat for the Nexus and Pixel series phones. The 7.1.2 AOSP firmware finally came out of the Beta program that was announced a couple of months earlier. With this April 2017 security patch level, the AOSP sources were updated to the new stable 7.1.2_r5 firmware with build number N2G47J. Unfortunately, the Google Nexus 5 was left out of the update because the device is out of the official support group. However, there is still a way to update the LG Nexus 5 to Android 7.1.2 Nougat via a custom ROM.
Thanks to the XDA developer, Santhosh M, who compiled the new sources and developed a new AOSP based custom ROM for the Nexus 5. The ROM is based on firmware N2G47J and comes with Android 7.1.2_r5. This is an unofficial port so you may expect some bugs with this initial build. The basic stuff like Wifi, RIL, Bluetooth, Camera, etc. are all working perfectly.
The developer claims that the ROM is a daily drive. This means, there are no major issues like force closes, lags, etc. At times, the battery may drain unusually. A simple restart may suffice. The latest AOSP ROM inherits all the new Google features like Pixel Launcher, app, shortcuts, advanced multi-window, etc.
How to Install Android 7.1.2 Nougat onto Nexus 5?
The 7.1.2 update comes in the form of a custom ROM. Hence, you will need to flash it via a custom TWRP recovery. Simply wipe the previous Android OS and flash the new firmware listed below.
Download 7.1.2 Nougat AOSP ROM for Nexus 5
- Update to 7.1.2_r5 (N2G47J) | Download | File: aosp_hammerhead-7.1.2-nougat-20170407.zip [316.90 MB]
There is another custom ROM based on Android 7.1.2 for based on Lineage OS 14.1 named as DARK ROM and comes with Pixel features.
- Download DARK ROM | Download Link
The Dark ROM comes with latest Google Pixel XL apps and features, Google Assistant enabled, and of course, the Android 7.1.2 Nougat update for Nexus 5. You will need the latest Gapps for Nougat and the latest SuperSU 2.79 SR3 to gain root access.
- Download one of the listed ROMS from above and transfer it to your phone’s internal storage.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery. Power off the phone and Hold Power button and Volume down simultaneously.
- From recovery, tap on Wipe and select all the partitions except internal storage.
- Go to home screen and tap on Install option. Select the custom ROM that you just downloaded.
- Swipe right to install.
- Similarly, you may also flash the SuperSU and the Gapps if your device is missing it.
- Reboot to system.
Enjoy the latest Android version on your Nexus 5 phone. For any queries, comment down below.
Subscribe to Newsletters via Email. Follow us on Google News and Join our Telegram Group! Also, support us by donating via PayPal.