TWRP (aka, TeamWin Recovery Project) is an advanced recovery that supports most of the Android phones. This custom TWRP recovery is used to flash custom ROMS and packages. The packages can range from SuperSU zip to root Android, custom ROMS like Lineage OS 14.1, MODS like Viper4Android, ports like camera, and much more. TWRP can also perform additional operations like complete Nandroid backup and restore, mount USB via OTG, wipe the complete system, flash system images, ADB sideload, and much more. Now with TWRP v3.1.0, you get an additional benefit of taking ADB backup right to your PC.
The TWRP update to version 3.1.0 brings several new features including the support for ADB backup to PC, AB OTA support, stability support for Android 7.1 firmware, decryption support, etc. The full changelog has been listed below.
Earlier you could only take a backup to your phone storage which used up a lot of space. It can consume up to 6-10 GB of phone storage as it contained system, boot, apps & data, cache, EFS partitions. Now with the ADB backup features, you can take the backup to PC directly via ADB connection.
The AB OTA can only benefit the Google Pixel and Pixel XL for now because only these two devices support the alpha/beta OTA zip. TWRP 3.1 also brings stability support to the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat firmware with lossless backup and restore, ADB log command with updated AOSP Android 7.1 recovery sources. It also features decryption support for many devices.
TWRP 3.1.0 changelog and downloads
TWRP 3.1.0-0 is out now for all currently supported devices.
What’s new in 3.1.0-0:
- vold decrypt on a few select HTC devices, TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition’s vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition (nkk71 and CaptainThrowback)
- adb backup to stream a backup directly to or from your PC, see documentation here: https://github.com/omnirom/androidbootablerecovery/commit/ce8f83c48d200106ff61ad530c863b15c16949d9 (bigbiff)
- tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
- support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
- support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
- better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
- improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
- minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
- try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
- shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
- timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
- support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
- boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
- TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
- support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
- support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
- update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
- numerous bugfixes and improvements by too many people to mention
Download the latest TWRP v3.1.0 from here. If you are looking for easier ways to install the TWRP, then you should check out the official TWRP App as well.
Subscribe to Newsletters via Email. Follow us on Google News and Join our Telegram Group! Also, support us by donating via PayPal.