The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and all of its variants including the Exynos and Qualcomm Snapdragon models are already running the latest Android 7.0 Nougat firmware. Moreover, the root method for the Exynos variants on Nougat firmware is already available. The Snapdragon variants seemed left out, until today, XDA members had a workaround the root access for US carrier models like SM-G925A/P/T/V.
The US variants with Qualcomm processors have been rooted and the most important thing is that it has a unified method. Which means, the following procedure can be used with other models of running Qualcomm chipsets including US carriers like AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile.
The root procedure has been tested on T-Mobile S7 Edge variants and is in beta state. So it may or may not work with other devices. Check out the supported devices list and also the warning from below. Moreover, this process does not cause any data loss.
Samsung S7/S7 Edge Snapdragon variant root supported devices
The root procedure is supported for the following devices. It has been tested on the T-Mobile SM-G935T. The links will take you to the exact Nougat firmware/OTA files for download.
- AT&T Galaxy S7 (Edge) SM-G930A & SM-G935A (Nougat)
- Sprint Galaxy S7 (Edge) SM-G930P & SM-G935P (Nougat)
- Verizon Galaxy S7 (Edge) SM-G930V & SM-G935V (Nougat)
- T-Mobile S7 (Edge) SM-G930T & SM-G935T (Nougat)
Warning: Although, the procedure has been tested working on some of the devices, doesn’t mean it will work for all the devices. Something may go wrong. Hence, it is wise to backup and keep a full stock firmware file handy so your Samsung Galaxy device can be restored to stock via Odin. Reader’s discretion is advised.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Snapdragon USA variants on Android 7.0 Nougat?
- Make sure your S7 (Edge) device runs on the official Android 7.0 Nougat stock firmware. Baseband version – G935TUVU4BQB1 for G935T S7 Edge and QB1 Beta and above for others.
- Verify the device for compatibility from above.
- Enable USB debugging and setup ADB and fastboot environment on PC.
- Download the ENG (AP) files for S7 and S7 Edge from here. (This is the ENGINEER boot kernel boot.tar file that needs to be flashed a modified Odin software for PC).
- Download patched SuperSU 2.79 root.bat file from here. (This is a bat file executed via command prompt. It will provide root access to Android)
- This file is optional and will fix the VoLTE VMM icon. Download from here.
- Download and use only this modified Odin.
Galaxy S7 Qualcomm variants rooting instructions:
- Download all necessary files from above and extract the files to get the original files with .tar and .bat extensions.
- Reboot your S7 device into Download Mode or Odin Mode. (Turn off the device completely and then press and hold Power button + Volume Down + Home keys for a few seconds.)
- Launch the modified ODIN on your PC. Run Odin software as administrator.
- connect your device to your PC using a USB cable and make a successful connection.
- Extract ENG AP to get a .tar file. Now click on AP button on Odin and add the S7edge_qualcomm.tar file by navigating to the file path.
- Verify everything and proceed with installation by selecting Start button.
- Let the installation begin and then reboot to system once done.
- Open a Command prompt (CMD) on the computer where the extracted SuperSU 2.79 bat file is located.
- In the CMD prompt type:
Note: You can also run the root.bat file by double-clicking it, but make sure the zip is extracted. This will push the required files and root the S7 device.
Once the procedure is complete, reboot the phone once and start providing root access to apps. That’s it your Galaxy S7 (Edge) phone is rooted on Android 7.0 Nougat.
Debug: Install Kernel Adiutor (ROOT) from the Play store and grant root access. Open app and set both CPU governors to ONDEMAND and set apply on boot. Moreover, CONSERVATIVE kernel settings could give better battery life. Keep testing the the device.
Thanks to: Araltd
Subscribe to Newsletters via Email. Follow us on Google News and Join our Telegram Group! Also, support us by donating via PayPal.