Earlier this year, Mobvoi announced and soon released the most anticipated Wear OS 3 beta program for their TicWatch series. After almost 6 months of testing, the popular smartwatch manufacturer has released the stable version of Wear OS 3.0 for several TicWatch devices.
TicWatch users have been eagerly awaiting the next-gen Wear OS software update from Mobvoi, and their anticipation has finally been rewarded. The official Twitter account of Mobvoi posted the following a few hours ago:
We are delighted to announce the rollout of the Wear OS by Google™ (Wear OS 3) update for our current device lineup, beginning this December. This update will include the TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS, TicWatch Pro 3 GPS, TicWatch E3, TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra, and TicWatch Pro 3 LTE. We are deeply thankful for the patience and support of our Mobvoi community members.
As you can see, all the latest watches are receiving the Wear OS 3 firmware update starting today including TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS, TicWatch Pro 3 GPS, TicWatch E3, TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra, and TicWatch Pro 3 LTE.
While the Pixel Watch and the Samsung Galaxy Smartwatches are already on Google’s recently announced Wear OS 4, the TicWatch getting Wear OS 3 is a step in the right direction. Mobvoi may also release Wear OS 4 for the TicWatch 3 series and the upcoming smartwatches.
Wear OS 3 is based on the newer Android 11 with pre-installed Google Play Store and Google Play services (GMS). This means, you can directly download apps to your TicWatch using the Play Store. It should now support apps like Google Maps, WhatsApp, Google Assistant, Messages, Phone, and all the newer Google apps.
TicWatch users can expect many new features and enhancements to improve their smartwatch experience. Newer updates to TicHealth, TicSleep, and TicExercise can be expected. The integration of Android 11 ensures improved performance, better battery optimization, and increased stability across the TicWatch lineup.
How to download Wear OS 3 for Mobvoi’s TicWatch?
To download the latest Wear OS 3 stable update on your TicWatch, Mobvoi has published a blogpost explaining the guidelines and precautions to take before the upgrade.
Force Update your Mobvoi TicWatch using this trick
- Turn off Bluetooth.
- Activate Wi-Fi.
- Place it on the dock. Power on.
- Go to settings > system update > check for update.
- If you get nothing but “your watch is upto date”.
- Try tapping on the little watch with the “check” symbol on it.
- Tap over 8+ times and you should get an update
- Note: Some users reported tapping 20 times before they got the update.
Note: Tapping persistently on the “up to date” screen should prompt you to download the update.
It’s crucial to note that going back and tapping again on the software update screen and repeating the process is recommended. Alternatively, one could attempt restarting the watch.
Important Guidelines for a Smooth Transition
- Check Your Watch Build Number and Phone Compatibility
- Ensure your watch’s build number matches one of the following: PMRB.220703.001, PMKB.211102.004, PMKB.211102.002, PMRL.220704.001.
- Android users, check your phone’s compatibility with the Mobvoi Health app on Google Play.
- App and Data Availability After the Update
- The update triggers a factory reset, erasing non-Tic third-party apps. TicHealth, TicSleep, and TicExercise data will be securely stored and synced within a week.
- Note that some third-party apps on Google Play may not be compatible with Wear OS 3.
- Feature Differences Post-Update
- Not all features from Wear OS 2 will be carried over. Button customization for the bottom right button, for instance, will no longer be accessible.
- Updating Method
- Download and install the update patch on your watch, allowing approximately 10 minutes or more for completion.
- Forgetting/unpairing your watch in the Google Wear OS app and phone’s Bluetooth Settings is necessary.
- Delete the Google Wear OS app and the current Mobvoi app on your phone.
- Android users, download the Mobvoi Health app via Google Play, and iOS users, download Health Copilot via the App Store.