As promised, Nothing Tech released the most anticipated Android 13 firmware update for the Nothing Phone 1 via first Nothing OS 1.5 Open Beta update. Yesterday, the firm sent emails to shortlisted beta testers. The OTA is now available for download. Although not everyone is shortlisted, here we have the first Nothing OS 15 beta direct OTA download links for everyone to try.
Nothing OS 1.5 update comes with tons of changes and features. For one, it brings all the Android 13 goodies including Material You design, wallpaper-based theme engine, app permissions, QR code scanner shortcut, support for per-app language selector, Live Captions, and much more!
On top of this, you get Nothing OS improvements listed below. A full changelog has been posted in the screenshots and patch notes section.
Beta does not support Google Pay and Netflix yet
You can readily download the first Android 13 update for Nothing Phone 1 based on Nothing OS 1.5 beta firmware.
However, before you do so, make sure you understand the caveats.
Some apps like Google Pay and Netflix may not work. Also, downgrading to Android 12 is only possible by flashing the full firmware via ADB commands. This means a factory reset is the only way. So backup!
Here is what you should know before you download Nothing OS 15:
- This is Beta software. It isn’t final and could be unstable in parts.
- You might not be able to use Netflix and Google Pay.
- Downgrading to Android 12 requires using ADB commands to flash the device with a computer, and may result in data loss.
- If you’re not comfortable with this, please don’t proceed with the Android 13 upgrade.
Nothing OS 1.5 Beta Full Changelog
According to Nothing Tech blog post, the first Android 13 beta for Nothing Phone features the following improvements and features.
- Up to 50% increase in app loading speed.
- More Material You. More colour schemes available for matching third party apps to wallpaper.
- Multi-language support that allows different languages for different apps.
- Privacy upgrades. Including:
- Photo picker. Choose which images you want to share with each app.
- Notification permissions. Control which apps can send you notifications.
- Media permissions. Group the types of media you want to share e.g., photos and videos, music and audio, files.
- New QR code scanner in Quick Settings.
- Clipboard preview: copied text appears on clipboard in the bottom corner of the screen. So you can directly edit the text before pasting.
- New look for Media Control.
- Foreground services. Close active background apps directly from the notification centre to save battery.
- Live caption: detects speech on your device and automatically generates captions.
- Increased background memory. Reducing the wait for frequently used apps to load.
- New self-repair feature that keeps Phone (1) running like it’s new. By clearing unused cache and expired system dumps.
- Improved Quick Settings. Featuring new network and Bluetooth device pop-ups.
- New UI for volume control. Easily adjust individual volume sliders without unlocking the screen (e.g. music vs alarm).
- Improved Game Mode. New UI for light notifications and added Google Game Dashboard. Dashboard supports screenshots, screen recording, FPS display, and Do Not Disturb.
Full Nothing OS 1.5 feature presentation:
Download Nothing OS 1.5 Beta (Android 13)
Here are the OTA update zips for the latest Nothing OS 1.5 Open Beta (Android 13) available for download directly from the manufacturer’s servers.
Note: For EEA, flash NOS 1.1.8 before beta.
- NOTHING OS 1.8.8 EEA (Android 12)
How to Install Android 13 OTA Update zip for Nothing Phone 1?
You can Nothing Phone by installing Nothing OS OTA update zips manually via ADB sideload method or recovery method. See the tutorial on How to install OTA updates on any Android device?
Install OTA using Local Upgrade method
- Create a folder named “ota” (without the quotes) at the root of the internal storage. Meaning outside every folder.
- Copy the OTA update ZIP file from above to that folder.
- Open the phone app and Dial
- This should launch an offline update tool.
- The tool will scan for an OTA file from internal storage and install it.
- If that fails, you can manually browse for the OTA package.
- After selecting the OTA file, the wizard will apply the update.
- Reboot the device and you are on the latest firmware.
Note: If the dialer doesn’t work in your region,
The package name you should be looking for is