Last year’s Google IO 2021 live stream showcased several new Google products alongside the new Android OS version. Google unveiled the most anticipated Android 12 OS update, now publicly available for download on many Android devices. Third-party OEMs like OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo quickly released their own instance of Android 12 firmware for their respective devices. Following the OnePlus 9 series, the OnePlus 8 series is now receiving its first Oxygen OS 12 Open Beta program based on Android 12.
Android 12 features a new wallpaper-based theming engine based on the brand new Material You visuals. Android 12’s new theme engine will automatically apply a systemwide theme with different color pallets based on the home screen wallpaper. Material You is an upgrade to the Material design designed for you. OnePlus has its own implementation of the Material You visual and a systemwide theming engine.
As for the features, the first Oxygen OS 12 Open Beta for OnePlus 8 series features Android 12 goodies along with core OnePlus features and updated apps.
Note that this is not a developer preview. It is a full-fledged Oxygen OS 12 firmware. You can checkout the complete feature list and changelog from below.
OxygenOS 12 Open Beta 1 for the OnePlus 8 Series Feature List and Changelog
- Optimized desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Dark mode
- Dark mode now supports three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- New additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- Newly added Earphone Control Card with Bluetooth earphone one-click adjustment
- Newly added access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- Newly added OnePlus Watch Card in Shelf, to easily glance at your health stats
- Work Life Balance
- Work Life Balance feature is now available to all users, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- WLB 2.0 now supports automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- Gallery now allows you to switch between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD
- Canvas AOD brings you new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- Newly added multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- Optimized software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
There are known issues with the first build too:
- Some third-party apps haven’t been adapted to the latest Android version and may not function properly
- The clock might be missing the dial display when the AOD feature is on
Download OxygenOS 12 Open Beta 1 for the OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, 8T
Here is how to download and install Android 12 onto your OnePlus 8 device. Android 12 is currently available for OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, 8T for India and North American variants.
- These instructions are only for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro international variants.
- Carrier version devices (TMO/VZW) aren’t compatible with this build.
Download Oxygen OS 12 (global):
Open Beta 1 for 8T
Downgrade package for OnePlus 8 Series
- Download links for OnePlus 8 rollback packages:
- Download links for OnePlus 8 Pro rollback packages:
How to install Oxygen OS 12 onto OnePlus 8 series?
MP version – Stable official version
DP version – Developer Preview version
OBT Version – Open Beta version
MP and OBT to DP upgrade guide—via Local OTA Update
Note: This upgrade method will erase all the contents of the phone, please be sure to backup first.
- Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from the specified server.
- Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
- Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> Upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
- After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
- Update successful.