As Google owns Android, it is quite expected that the search giant would push its apps and services onto Android smartphones. GMS (Google Mobile Services) package is often bundled into Android devices featuring Google Search, Chrome, Maps, Assistant, YouTube, etc. While we do have a separate Google News app, Google Discover is arguably one of the best ways to get weather updates, quick news and custom tailored feed based on your interest.
Google Discover is the panel that pops up when you swipe right on the home screen of your Android device. It gives you customized feeds like weather updates, news and articles based on your interest. The discover feature is mainly available for Google Pixel phones or devices with close to stock Android experience. It goes by many names like Google Feed, News, and the latest Google Discover.
Third-party smartphone manufacturers often adopt a custom skin for their smartphones like OnePlus’ Oxygen OS, Samsung’s One UI, Xiaomi’s MIUI, Vivo Origin OS, OPPO’s Reamle OS, and more. Due to this, they have their own stock apps and service integration – including their custom integration of feed. Samsung has Samsung Daily as a replacement of Google Discover, OnePlus has OnePlus Shelf, Xiaomi has their own MIUI custom panel.
Here is how to replace the stock feed panel on your Android device with Google Discover – be it Samsung, OnePlus, Xiaomi, OPPO, Vivo, Asus, etc.
Enable Google Discover/Feed/News Panel on any Android phone (Swipe right on home page)
- Download the latest version of Nova Launcher or Nova Launcher 7 Beta from Play Store. You can also download APK separately from the developer’s official site.
- Make sure you have Nova Launcher v5.2 or later.
- Install the app on your Android phone and set it as default launcher.
- Now, download and install Nova Google Companion APK (mirror link).
- Go to Nova Launcher Settings.
- Search for Google Discover.
- Enable the option “Set Google Discover as the first launcher page”.
- Also, Enable Swipe option.
- Go to home screen and swipe right.
You should now see Google Discover feed with the weather widget, news, articles, and more. You can also customize it for more widgets. Just click on the Snapshot option on the top left corner.