LG G7 ThinQ may be one of the first LG Android phone to receive Android 9 Pie after running Oreo for so long. The Android 9 OTA update for LG G7 is now rolling out in European countries like the UK, Germany, Netherlands, and many more. The global rollout will begin soon in a phased manner. The OTA is quite big and weighs around 1.5 GB in size. The update will now come to Asian counties like India, and to various USA carrier variants like T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and carrier unlocked too. So go to Settings > Software Updates > and check for OTA updates available for download.
The Android 9 Pie for LG G7 features a new firmware build number V20b. It comes with all the Android 9 goodies like Adaptive Battery, Adaptive Brightness, new system navigation, new settings menu, advanced notification channels and categories, Digital Wellbeing support, and much more. Apart from the 9 Pie features, you also get new LG UX, updated stock apps like camera, file manager, gallery, support for new themes, and much more.
Now, for those of you who can’t wait for the Android 9 Pie OTA update to arrive on their devices, here we have the latest LG G7 ThinQ V20 KDZ file available for download. So you can manually update your LG device to Android 9 Pie by installing the full stock firmware via LGUP flashtool.
Download LG G7 ThinQ Android 9 Pie KDZ stock firmware
Following we have the LG G7 ThinQ KDZ full stock firmware file extracted from the European variant. Along with other required files like the LG drivers, latest LGUP flashtool, and the supported LGUP dll files. Even though the KDZ is from the European variant, it has been tested working almost every model of the LG G7 ThinQ variants like G710EM (Global), G710EMW (CH, AU, NZL, HKG), G710AWM (Canada), and more. This won’t work on any T-Mobile G7 related variants such as model numbers G710ULM and G710TIM and G710TM.
- LG USB Drivers (Gdrive)
- Download latest LGUP 1.15.06 (Gdrive)
- LGUP dll files (Gdrive)
- LG G7 ThinQ European Pie KDZ File (Gdrive)
Thanks to LameMonster82 at XDA for the files.
LG Firmware download
Here is the LG G7 ThinQ full stock KDZ firmware downloads repository from LG-Firmwares with the latest Android 9 Pie.
Listed LG G7 ThinQ variants are G710EM (Global); G710PM (Sprint), G710VMP (Verizon); G710ULM (USA unlocked); G710EMW (CH, AU, NZL, HKG); G710EAW 128/6 (HKG, SGP, AU, EU); G710AWM (Canada); G710N (South Korea)
How to install Android 9 Pie for LG G7 ThinQ via KDZ stock firmware?
In order to upgrade, you will need special LGUP flashtool to install the firmware. Also, flashing stock KDZ files will wipe all data as it will factory reset the devices. So backup!
Alternatively, you can also update your LG device using the official LG Bridge software if you are sure the OTA is available for your specific LG G7 model number. Here is the official download for LG Bridge. Install LG Bridge to PC > Connect LG to PC > Perform a software update.
Alternatively, you can upgrade manually via this LGUP KDZ firmware method. Here is how to install KDZ:
- Download all the 4 files from the download section to your Windows PC
- Now, install the USB Drivers (
LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.2.0.exe) and then the LGUP flashtool (
- Reboot your LG G7 to Download mode or Bootloader mode by turning off your phone completely, then keep holding volume up and connect your phone to PC via USB Cable.
- Once done, make sure your device shows in the device manager. Open the device manager on PC. There you should find “Ports”. Open it and it should look lime the below image.
Note: If you don’t see your device in device manager, then you should try reinstalling the drivers from above.
- Note the COMX port number. We will need it in the future.
- Now, go to the location where you have installed the LGUP software. Let’s assume it is the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP
- Now, extract the “common” folder from LGUP dll (
LGUP_Common.zip) inside the folder “model“.
- Then go back to
C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP
- Open a Command Prompt window there. At the address bar just type
cmdand hit enter.
- Type in the following command:
lgup_cmd.exe comX "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" [KDZ Loctation]
- X = Your COM port number from above (e.g. com3)
- [KDZ Location] = The full path to the location where you saved the LG G7 Pie KDZ File (
That’s it hit start and let it install. The device will reboot into Android 9 Pie. First boot may take some time.