Renowned Android developer, topjohnwu, released another update for the most ambitious project called Magisk. Magisk is the most popular rooting tool for most Android devices. Here is another update for the same with more stability and support for many firmware from various manufactuers. With Magisk 18.1 you get official support for EMUI 9.0 firmware from Huawei and also supports support Kirin 960 devices from the same manufacturer. Most importantly, with Magisk, you can root most Android devices ranging from Android 9.0 Pie, 8.0/8.1 Oreo, down to Android 4.2.
Magisk Manager has also been update to v7.0.0 with major UI changes. The app has been redesigned in order for ease of use. It also supports Android version 4.1 and above. This is the stable version. So the latest Magisk Manager drops support for the previous version upto Magisk 18. So you should use the latest version of all your devices and not the previous ones. Magisk 18.1 is fixed post OTA scripts for A/B devices, reduced memory usages when verifying and signing boot image.
Magisk Manager is a supporting application for rooted Android phones or tablets. You will need both- Magisk zip (installed via TWRP recovery), and Magisk Manager APK (installed as normal app). Downloads are listed below.
Changelog for Magisk v18.1:
– [General] Support EMUI 9.0
– [General] Support Kirin 960 devices
– [General] Support down to Android 4.2
– [General] Major code base modernization under-the-hood
Changelog for Magisk Manager v7.0.0
– Major UI redesign!
– Render Markdown natively (no more buggy WebView!)
– Support down to Android 4.1 (native Magisk only support Android 4.2 though)
– Significantly improve Magisk log display performance
– Fix post OTA scripts for A/B devices
– Reduce memory usages when verifying and signing boot image
– Drop support for Magisk lower than v18.0
Download Magisk 18.1
Following are the direct download links right from the Github repository of the project.
- Latest Stable (Magisk v18.1 zip)
- (Magisk v18.1 zip) Latest Beta
- Latest Uninstaller (Magisk uninstaller zip)
- Latest Magisk Manager (APK download)
Full downloads repository:
Use either the stable or beta Magisk v18+ zip and flash it via TWRP recovery to root Android devices running Android 9.0 Pie, 8.0/8.1 Oreo, 7.0/7.1 Nougat, Marshmallow or earlier. You may also need to install Magisk Manager APK after you have booted into the system.
In case you don’t want Magisk or want to completely unroot your Android phone, then flash the Magisk uninstaller zip via TWRP recovery.
How to install Magisk? Detailed tutorial on how to install Magisk.