Table of Contents
Adhell gained a lot of popularity among the Samsung community since it was first launched back in 2016. Adhell is a Samsung Knox based application which can Block system wide Ads, trackers, analytics from applications without root. It has more functionalities than just Ad-Blocker including Package Disabler, Mobile Restricter, App Permissions controller, and much more. Adhell 3 makes use of Samsung Knox SDK, so you can use it natively with your Samsung stock firmware; TouchWiz or Samsung Experience 9.0. Moreover, it doesn’t need root access. With the help of developers, Adhell 3 is now available for download.
Since Adhell (first) was abandoned by the original developer, the source code remains available publicly. Hence, developers released Adhell 2 and SABS (Simple Ad Blocker for Samsung), which were similar to Adhell but with more features for free. Later, Samsung also put a stop to SABS project. Now, although Adhell, or SABS may be abandoned, Adhell 3 still lives. The source code was just updated 1 day ago.
Adhell 3 can also serve as a URL or websites blocker, blacklist or whitelist apps for Ad-blocking, etc set Adhell 3 works with the latest Oreo stock firmware on Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, Note 8, Galaxy S9/S9+, S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, and more. It has also been tested on several other Samsung devices with Android version 5.0 or higher.
In order to install Adhell 3, you will need to download the full source code, extract it, open the project in Android Studio, and compile it to install an Adhell 3 APK onto your Samsung Galaxy device. There is no direct APK available right now.
Installing Adhell 3 could be time consuming for some. It requires some technical knowledge. You need 3 things before installation –
- The complete Adhell 3 source code (listed below).
- A Samsung Knox Enterprise license key (Knox key).
- You will also need to set an
applicationIDor change package name if already set.
Step 1: How to get the Samsung Enterprise Knox key license key?
- Sign in here with your Samsung account.
- Go here to view your keys or generate new ones.
- Click on Generate License Key. (Left corner)
- Go to “Samsung EDU SDK” section. (Steps 3-7 are demonstrated in the picture here).
- Select “Enterprise license key”.
- Give the key a name in “Add a key alias”.
- Press “Generate license key”.
- Copy the key. If the key starts with letters “KLM”, you didn’t follow the steps correctly. Complete the steps 3-7 again.
Step 2: Download Adhell 3
Update: Download and Install latest Adhell 3.1.1+ with new Standard Knox License Key
Note 1: If the Adhell doesn’t block Ads on chrome after installation, this is due to the recent DNS changes brought to Chrome for Android. Visit this tutorial.
Downloads 1: For users, who are seeing Force close on using the original Adhell master zip, can use this one here as well.
- Download Adhell 3 tested working verson with Samsung EDU SDK License key.
Downloads 2: GitHub is obsolete now. Latest Adhell 3.1 is now available on GitLab page and can be downloaded and installed from below. As Adhell 3 has been moved to GitLab, you will need to register to the website and visit the following website to download the latest sources.
- Download Adhell 3.1 from GitLab | Register > Login > search adhell3
Adhell 3.1 uses Knox Standard SDK, if it gets complicated, download the above working zip of Adhell 3 and install using the following method.
- The Knox Standard SDK can be downloaded here.
- The Enterprise License Key using Samsung EDU SDK can be obtained here.
- The API can be found here
Adhell 3 alternative: Download SABS or notSABS:
If the Adhell procedure gets too complicated, you may also be interested in SABS (Simple Ad-Blocker for Samsung) or notSABS, which can still be installed without any issue. Moreover, it also has a ready to install APK available in the post.
Step 3: How to Install Adhell 3.0 or Adhell 3.1?
Note: Samsung Legacy SDK has been removed by the manufacturer. Installing Adhell 3.1 using the Knox standard SDK will be updated here later. You can visit GitLab for installation.
The Adhell 3.0 installation process has been updated too. Adhell 3.0.0 works perfectly fine.
You will need to download the source code, and open the project in Android Studio, change the package name, and install it. The steps are listed below.
- On your Samsung device, Enable USB Debugging on your phone – Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Press rapidly about 10 times on Build Number until a message “You are now a developer!” appears. > Go back to Settings > Developer Options > Turn on USB Debugging.
- Connect your phone to your PC. When you see a popup on phone, select always allow from this computer to enable USB Debugging.
- Download the Adhell master zip from above download section to PC or computer.
- Now extract the Adhell source zip to PC.
- Also, extract the Knox Standard SDK.
- Copy the
libscontent and put it to
app\libsfolder in the extracted Adhell 3 source project. If the folder already has
libfiles, skip this step.
- Download and install the latest version of Android Studio from here.
- Once installed, run the Android Studio EXE file.
- Once it opens, select “Open an existing Android Studio project”.
- Choose the extracted folder of source code.
- Install the latest SDK and other files when asked. Follow the instructions on the screen. It may take time.
- When the project has been loaded completely, the progress bar will be gone at the bottom.
- Form the left tab on screen, open the “Gradle Scripts” and then “Build.Gradle (Module:app)”.
- Find the line “
applicationId“com.”. Usually it is on the 15th line.
- Change the
applicationIdto a package name such as “
com.adhe123.ahd1” to a random or unique sequence of letters and digits. Keep the sequence length same as before (i.e, 3.7.4).
- An alert should appear at the top of the screen. Select “Sync Now”.
- Wait for the project to load.
- In Android Studio click the Play button or simply press the keys Shift+F10.
- Select your phone and press OK.
- The Adhell APK will be generated and installed on your phone.
Step 4: How to setup Samsung Knox key into Adhell 3?
- Launch the adhell3 app from your Samsung Galaxy phone.
- From the app, Enable Admin.
- Enter the Samsung Knox license key in the field.
- Submit Knox key.
- Activate License.
- Turn on Adhell.
Follow the instructions in the step 2 to run Adhell 3.