Table of Contents Hide
Lineage OS is the most popular custom ROM for Android devices. It emerged from CyanogenMod and contains all the features from the same. The developers of Lineage are looking forward to rolling out official nightly build of the next Android 8.1 Oreo based ROMS. The Lineage org recently published the latest changelog which featured December 2017 security patch. It also stated that the ROM may jump directly to Android 8.1 Oreo from the former Lineage OS 14.1. So if they skip 8.0 Oreo, we will see a direct build for Lineage OS 15.1 as soon as the next two months.
Even though the official nightly builds may take a couple of months to deploy, we are already seeing some unofficial custom builds of Lineage OS 15.1. This time its the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge devices. The LOS 15.1 build will take your S7 device to Android 8.1 Oreo.
Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are confirmed receiving the Android 8.1 Oreo update. Samsung is currently rolling out Android 8.0 Oreo based Beta program for Galaxy S8 and S8+. This will be deployed for S7, S6, Note 5, Note 8 devices along with all of its variants. Meanwhile, Lineage OS 15.1 seems to be the best option to gain the latest Oreo update.
Now before you go and flash this custom ROM, there are certain things you should be aware of. This is not an official build. It is still in beta stage. So you will see some bugs with the device. Currently, there are several things working with this build including camera, video recorder, WiFi, Bluetooth, Hotspot, etc. All the network related stuff is also working with this build. This includes RIL like Mobile data, calls, SMS and other stuff.
Download Lineage OS 15.1 for S7 and S7 Edge
The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Lineage OS 15.1 builds are up and readily flashable via
Download Lineage OS 15.1
- Lineage OS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 | Download | Mirror | herolte
- Lineage OS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 Edge | Download | Mirror | hero2lte
Download Lineage OS 15.0
- Lineage OS 15.0 for Galaxy S7 | Download | Mirror | herolte
- Lineage OS 15.0 for Galaxy S7 Edge | Download
You will also need:
– mali drivers
– USB tethering
– Video Playback
– Fingerprint Sensor
– Ril (Mobile data,calls, sms and stuff)
– Buttons and their backlight
– Wifi HotSpot
– 2D and 3D gpu acceleration
– Stuff I didn’t test yet
What’s not working?
– Device only GPS (Gps in general should work tho)
– HW acceleration in video playback
– Stuff I didn’t test
As it is a beta ROM, it comes with some bugs at the moment. The GPS of device may not work correctly. Hardware acceleration while video playback may not work.
How to install Lineage OS 15.1 onto Galaxy S7/S7 Edge and update to 8.1 Oreo?
- Make sure your Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge devices are rooted.
- Download and install latest TWRP recovery installed.
- Download all the required packages from above and transfer it to device storage.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery.
- Take a full Nandroid backup.
- Wipe data.
- Flash Lineage OS ROM.
- Flash Gapps.
- Flash Magisk
- Reboot to system.
That’s it. Enjoy your Samsung Galaxy S7 Android 8.1 Oreo update. Checkout the screenshots from below.
Screenshots of Lineage OS 15.1 for Galaxy S7/S7 Edge:
Like us on social media. Thanks to Ivan_Meler.