It is mid-December and some US telecom carriers are seeding the latest Security Patch updates for their devices. AT&T is no exception. The network carrier AT&T is currently rolling out the latest November 2017 Security Patch for the latest flagships from Samsung. AT&T Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus are now receiving a new December OTA update with firmware build number G950USQU2BQK5 and G955USQU2BQK5 respectively.
The latest OTA update for Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U) and S8+ (SM-G955U) is now available for download with latest November Security Patch. Although we are seeing some December patches for the Samsung devices such as the Note 8, this is still a big deal.
This software update brings a massive changelog with new network support features, modification to carrier applications etc. Some of the update log includes Mobile Hotspot APN support, Bueborne vulnerability patch, HDR API, enhanced network performance. This upgrade is a must-have update for the AT&T devices and is currently rolling over-the-air (OTA). We have also captured the OTA update zips readily flashable via ADB sideload method.
This update is weighing a good 480 MB. It is based on Android 7 Nougat. However, AT&T is rolling Oreo update for Note 8 devices with build number N950USQU2CQL1. Apart from the OTA, we have also provided the latest firmware download link below. We have also put up a tutorial to manually install the same.
You may like:
Changelog for latest Galaxy S8 update
The monthly update comes with a big changelog with a plethora of new features and tweaks to existing functions. Here is a comprehensive list of the same.
- November 2017 security patch update
- Support for new Mobile Hotspot APN,
- HDR API for DirecTV
- Various system improvements and bug fixes
- BlueBorne vulnerability Fix (on SPLs September or later)
- Enhanced network performance
- Enhanced Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) experience
- Device restart to bring it onto the AT&T network (Factory Data Reset no longer required),
- AT&T preloaded applications and features will be on the device after the restart,
- Previous carrier’s applications and features will be disabled
- Post restart customer content won’t be deleted (e.g. Images, documents, files, call logs, ringtones, user accounts, etc.)
Download AT&T Galaxy S8/S8+ December OTA update
Here is the direct download link to the firmware OTA bearing build number G950USQU2BQK5/ G955USQU2BQK5 for Galaxy S8 and S8+ respectively.
Download November Security Patch for Galaxy S8(plus):
- Galaxy S8 G950USQU2BQK5 | SS-G950USQU1AQJC-to-U2BQK5-UP Download
- Galaxy S8 Plus G955USQU2BQK5 | SS-G955USQU1AQJC-to-U2BQK5-UP Download
However, for the AT&T Galaxy S8 devices, you have an option to flash an unlocked firmware as well. So no more carrier bloatware. You can download the full stock firmware directly from the Samsung servers. You have to use a tool called SamFirm for the same. Once you have the firmware you can now use the Odin Tool to install it.
How to install AT&T Galaxy S8 (plus) OTA updates?
As the AT&T Samsung updates do not come with full stock firmware. All you get are the OTA update zip files. So users on AT&T can download the OTA update from above and flash it via stock recovery or ADB sideload method.
Read: How to install OTA updates on Android phones? (ADB sideload method)
Steps for OTA update Installation:
- Make sure your AT&T Galaxy S8 and S8+ device is on the previous G950USQU1AQJC firmware build. The OTA update is from U1AQJC to U2BQK5.
- Download the OTA update from above firmware zip file and move it to device storage. You can choose to rename the zip file for convenience. For instance, update.zip. However, that is completely optional.
- Turn off your device completely.
- Now, Long press the Bixby button + volume up button + press the power button.
- You will see a black screen with options. We need to enter the recovery mode.
- From recovery mode, Press vol up + down to go to “Apply update from SD‘ > highlight that and press the power button.
- When you see the zip file, highlight it and press the power button.
- Wait for some minutes while the update installs.
That’s it. Your AT&T Galaxy S8/S8+ is now updated to the latest security patch with other new features.Follow our social media handles for all latest firmware updates for every Android device.