Samsung Galaxy S8 series and the Galaxy S7 series just received a new OTA update featuring GPS Fix and newer Android security patches. OTA update for the S8 series comes in a large package of whopping 415 MB in size. As for the S7 series, it is a minor OTA update just 31 MB in size; but important nonetheless. Download the latest OTA update for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
The last update Galaxy S7 series received was Android 8.0 Oreo. These smartphones are long out of the software update support window. Today, Samsung released an unexpected OTA update featuring critical bug fixes like the GPS fix and stability improvements.
The software update for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge features firmware build number G93xFXXU8ETI2.
The update is still based on Samsung Experience; just before One UI came into existence. Firmware is rolling out across the globe including Asia and Europe with Exynos processor. It is up to the network carriers in the United States to roll out the same update.
Following is the screenshot of Galaxy S8’s software update. The same changelog comes to the Galaxy S7 series as well.
The OTA comes in a small package of 31 MB in size. It also features September 2020 security patch level.
As for the changelog, the OTA brings the long-awaited GPS. It also improved the system stability and several under-the-hood improvements.
Samsung may also have fixed several security vulnerabilities as the Android OS is quite old for today’s standards.
In order to download the OTA, go to Settings > System Updates > and download OTA updates manually.
If you want to manually upgrade your phone, you can do so by downloading the full stock firmware and flash via Odin flashtool. (instructions below)
Download full stock firmware for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
You can download the OTA by visiting Settings on your Galaxy device -> “About phone” section -> and tapping “Software update.”
You can use the SamFirm (Samsung Firmware Downloader) tool and the newly added Frija (also a Samsung Software Downloader) in order to download the full stock firmware directly from Samsung Severs.
- First, download and extract the latest SamFirm tool or the Frija Samsung Firmware Downloader.
- Go to About Phone under Settings on your S7 device and note down the model number like (SM-G935F/FD) for Galaxy S7Edge. Refer to the table below.
- Find the CSC code for your Galaxy S7 phone from here. Also known as a region or product code. In this case, we are using INS for India and Android 9.
- Input the model number and region code.
- Select or check the Auto box.
- Also, check decrypt automatically box.
- Hit check updates option.
- Once the details are shown, hit the download button.