OnePlus is highly popular for their devices which outperform most of the expensive models in the market. But when we think about OnePlus devices, one thing comes in mind which is OxygenOS, OnePlus’ own Android skin. Not to mention the Hydrogen OS, which is also very popular and comes with the Chinese variants of OnePlus devices. Both OxygenOS and HydrogenOS are popular for its clean user interface, appearance, and performance.
The company recently announced that they are ditching their HydrogenOS skin in favor of Oppo’s Color OS skin for the smartphones sold in China. The Chinese variants of OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro have already transitioned from Hydrogen OS to the Color OS 11 based on Android 11. It is now time for the popular OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, and 8T.
According to the OnePlus Chinese forums, ColorOS early adopter version is now available for the entire OnePlus 8 series. So users interested in testing ColorOS 11 for OnePlus 8/8 Pro can download the update package from below. The installation procedure is a little complicated as this is an early adopter build. Meaning an alpha build. You may also wait for a stable build.
Color OS 11 based on Android 11 for OnePlus 8 series
OnePlus and Oppo’s hardware are quite similar. Devices like the new OnePlus Nord N100 closely resemble Oppo’s devices like the Oppo A33, while on the flagship end, we can see several key tech breakthroughs shared, as it happened between the OnePlus 8 Pro and the Oppo Find X2 Pro.
OnePlus has finally decided to stop hiding from the fact that the company is owned by Oppo, which in turn falls under the BBK Electronics family alongside Realme. OnePlus begins the transition by adopting OPPO’s software calling it “ColorOS for OnePlus”. Essentially this is a tweaked UI but it also has certain features of HydrogenOS in it.
The biggest differentiator between OnePlus and Oppo has remained software, with OxygenOS and HydrogenOS on OnePlus devices will be a different experience from ColorOS on an Oppo smartphones. For the Chinese region, this difference might not exist in the future.
How To Download And Install Color OS 11 For OnePlus 8 / 8 Pro / 8T?
According to the thread posted on the OnePlus’s Official forums this version is an early adopter of ColorOS, and the system stability may have certain potential risks and poor experience. This version of ColorOS only supports the domestic version of OnePlus 8/8Pro and you can rollback to HydrogenOS whenever you want.
- Make sure to backup your data before updating or rolling back as this will cause all mobile phone data to be erased.
- This version needs to be flashed by a computer, so make sure you have your computer ready with Windows 10 installed.
- You have to install Qualcomm USB Drivers before proceeding.
- Your device battery should be more than 60 percent.
- Download the driver for Windows 10 Computer here.
Download Color OS 11 for OnePlus 8 series
- ColorOS 11 For OnePlus 8T (direct link)
- ColorOS 11 For OnePlus 8 Pro (direct link)
- ColorOS 11 For OnePlus 8 (direct link)
How to install Color OS 11 Early Adopter version?
The flashing process requires the latest Qualcomm drivers installed. Once that is done, you will need the MSM Download Tool in order to flash Color OS 11 based on Android 11 onto any OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, and 8T. The download packages listed above contain all of the above.
- [ColorOS flashing tutorial] ColorOS 11 for OnePlus 8/8 Pro / 8T (tutorial link)
As this version of ColorOS is an early adopted version , you may encounter the following issues:
- Overheating of the device for some games.
- Camera Thumbnail generation speed will be slow.
- The screen may become reddish, if you have low brightness and low grayscale.
- You may experience camera freezing while recording a 4K 60FPS video or 4K 30FPS super anti-shake.
- If the device has been idle for some time, a non-standard charger may not work. You will have to use the standard charger to power it up before using any other fast charger.
Stay tuned for stable ColorOS 11 for OnePlus 8 series.