The entire OnePlus 7 series received stable Android 11 OTA update globally just last week. This features the latest Oxygen OS 11 firmware and all of its goodies including the Android 11 features. The carrier locked North American variants go through a long chain of software upgrade process. For a majority of Android smartphones, the software from the manufacturer goes through the carriers like T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T; where they deploy their own custom software. So the updates always gets delayed in the United States.
However, here is how to upgrade you OnePlus 7 Pro North American variants to Android 11 right now. Basically we are converting the T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro into a global or international variant. Later we will flash the global OxygenOS 11 firmware zip onto the T-Mobile 7 Pro. This will also remove all the bloatware and apps from the carriers, giving you a clean operating system.
Do note that this requires a Windows PC, some custom software, drivers, etc. It will also reset your phone to factory settings leading to wiping your phone storage. So backup all your photos, documents, or any important files from the phone. The process in itself isn’t quite simple. You will need to connect your phone to PC multiple times.
T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro Android 11
Android 11 is now rolling out for the OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro device globally for North American, EU, and Indian variants. It features all the Oxygen OS 11 goodies like revamped UX for a more comfortable experience, updated stock apps, newer February 2021 security patch level, latest GMS packages from January 2021, and much more. The changelog is quite generic as we have been seeing since OnePlus 8 got Android 11.
Unfortunately, we won’t see the Ambient display (or Always on Display) and the new Google discover. OnePlus 7 series still uses OnePlus Shelf. However, we do see updated camera and features like HEVC codec to reduce video storage size. Game Space gets a major update with several optimizations and features.
How to install international firmware on the T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro?
- Download the zip file with the latest MSM tool, drivers, and firmware. OR get it from the Mirror.
- Extract the zip file and open the folder.
- Run the MSM tool.
- Uncheck the box next to SHA 256 inside the MSM tool.
- Hold both volume buttons on your OnePlus 7 Pro for 5 seconds and then plug in the USB cable.
- Keep an eye on the MSM tool window on your computer. It should say “Connected” next to one of the COM ports.
- Press START.
- Do not unplug your device until it says “success” on screen.
- That’s it, you now have international firmware on your T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro!
- Enable Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
- Enter bootloader mode on your device and type “fastboot oem unlock”.
Here is a video tutorial for a step by step guide:
You can also root your OnePlus 7 Pro and install TWRP so you can backup and restore to the point at ant time. You can then install the latest Magisk APK in order to keep root and get certain things working like WiFi, sound, 5G, etc. However, this may also lead to certain banking apps to not work.
Alternatively, you can directly flash the Android 11 OTA update from following.
How to update T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro to OxygenOS 11 with Android 11?
- Once you have the latest OnePlus 7 Pro
- Download Oxygen OS 11 full ROM zip file for the OnePlus 7 Pro global variant.
- Transfer the ROM file to the internal storage or phone storage. Place the zip file outside every folder.
- Now go to Settings app > visit System updates > tap on the top right settings icon > choose Local Upgrade option.
- The Local Upgrade option will search for an upgrade package.
- Once you see an upgrade package, tap on it and then hit the install option.