Earlier today, Xiaomi launched a brand new flagship phone called Xiaomi Mi 11 in China. Alongside the launch, the OEm also announced the latest MIUI 12.5 firmware update. It brings new design changes, privacy features, new wallpapers, performance improvements, and more.
Although MIUI 12.5 is a small iteration of the previous MIUI 12, it still brings some stunning changes to the Most of these ar enhancements and optimizations to the already existing features. The Xiaomi Mi 11 features the latest MIUI 12.5 out of the box with new upgrades to privacy and security. The update also brings updated Super Wallpapers, animations, haptics, system optimizations and various other new features.
According to the MIUI blogpost,
Core usage scenarios are optimized to decrease memory usage by 20%, while system operations are designed to use 32% less memory and offer a 17% decrease in power consumption. Super Wallpapers consume 40% less power under MIUI 12.5, allowing the system to operate smoother while conserving battery.
Xiaomi also announced MIUI+, which allows seamless collaboration between your Xiaomi device and your computer.
MIUI 12.5 Features
Here is everything you need to know about MIUI 12.5 and MIUI+:
- Design: Even though it is an intermediate update, there are some design changes like the improved MIUI Light Cone Motion Effect Architecture, dedicated thread for gestures, priority scheduling with the improved response time, and more. Xiaomi said it is no less than a full-fledged UI.
- Performance: MIUI 12.5 is lighter, smoother, and efficient than ever before. Xiaomi had reduced the overall system apps to 9 in total, which can be uninstalled as well. The update allows the device to use 20% fewer cores than before, along with 35% less background memory and 25% less power consumption. UI animations have improved a lot.
- Privacy: Xiaomi has improved privacy in MIUI 12.5 by targetting four different areas: Clipboard Protection, File Storage(Sandbox Mechanism), Browser, and Location(Fuzzy Positioning). Clipboard protection keeps a log of the apps that go overboard to read the copied contents. Sandbox Mechanism on the File Storage is a security mechanism where a separate environment is created to prevent data leaks. To prevent data stealing and to block malicious pages from downloading themselves Xiaomi has created an in-built security app to intercept pages in the browser. And Finally, fuzzy positioning is a feature where users can disguise their locations to a few meters away from the exact location to improve safety.
- New Super Wallpapers: With MIUI 12, Xiaomi brought in Super Wallpapers for Earth and Mars. But this time, there are three new locations. First, the Snow Mountain taken from Mount Siguniang. Xiaomi has captured a 24 hr period of day and night in real-time to match the time. The other two locations include Shipwreck Bay in Greece and Blade’s Edge Mountain in Italy. Xiaomi also said that more wallpapers are coming to UI in the future.
- MIUI Notes: Xiaomi has turbocharged the MIUI Notes app. The user can now add quick mind notes and Generate brain Maps. It also brings graffiti function, optimization for finger painting new typesetting system with dynamic grids to improve overall aesthetics.
- MIUI+: It is a beta feature that is announced with the MIUI 12.5 update. It is a seamless connection between your Xiaomi device and your computer. It allows the user to
- See mobile notifications on the computer.
- Copy text on your mobile phone and paste it directly on the computer.
- Browse and edit mobile files on your computer.
- View Web pages from Mobile and a lot more.
Checkout more features on Xiaomi’s MIUI Home website. Here is the entire changelog from MIUI 12.5
MIUI 12.5 Schedule: Release date
The first batch (before 24:00 on December 28):
- Xiaomi 10,
- Xiaomi 10 Pro,
- Xiaomi 9 SE,
- Xiaomi 9,
- Redmi K20 Pro,
- Xiaomi CC9e,
- Redmi Note7,
- Redmi Note7 Pro,
- Redmi K30 Pro,
- Redmi K30 5G,
- Xiaomi 10 Youth Edition,
- Redmi K30,
- Xiaomi CC9 Pro,
- Redmi K20,
- Redmi K30S Extreme Edition,
- Xiaomi 10 Extreme Edition,
- Redmi K30 Extreme Edition,
- Redmi 10X,
- Redmi 10X Pro,
- Redmi Note 9,
- Redmi K30i 5G Note: Redmi Note 9 requires Wire brush to the internal beta development version.
The second batch (starting from mid to late 2021.1):
- Xiaomi 9Pro 5G,
- Xiaomi CC9,
- Xiaomi CC9 Meitu customized version,
- Redmi Note9 Pro,
- Redmi Note8 Pro,
- Redmi Note8,
- Redmi Note9 4G
MIUI 12.5 will be released in mid-to-late January 2021 with development version for public beta.
The first batch by the end of April 2021 for Mi 11, Mi 10 Extreme Commemorative Edition, Mi 10 Pro, Mi 10
Download MIUI 12.5 for Xiaomi Redmi, Mi, and POCO phones
Xiaomi has already started a closed beta registration for MIUI 12.5 for the supported 21 devices. The manufacturer said that they will release the Closed Beta to selected users via OTA from 24:00 on 28 December 2020.
The Public Beta will be available in batches from mid to late January 2021. Here is a list of all the device getting MIUI 12.5 along with beta download links for a few devices.
Important note: This is the China beta ROM. So for the global variants, you will need to install it using a custom TWRP recovery. Also, the following are direct download links weighing over 3GB in size.
- Xiaomi Mi 10
- Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro
- Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
- Xiaomi Mi 9
- Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
- Xiaomi Mi Note 10/CC 9 Pro
- Redmi K30 Pro/Poco F2 Pro
- Mi 10T/Redmi K30S Ultra
- Redmi K30
- Redmi K30 Ultra
- Redmi K30/Poco X2
- Redmi K30S Extreme Edition
- Redmi K30i 5G Note
- Redmi K20 Pro/Mi 9T Pro
- Redmi K20/Mi 9T
- Redmi Note 9 5G Fastboot ROM
- Redmi Note 7/7S
- Redmi 10X
- Redmi 10X Pro
- Xiaomi 10 Extreme Edition
- Xiaomi 10 Youth Edition
It is the first batch to receive the MIUI 12.5 update, the second will get the update starting from mid to late January 2021. We can expect a stable release of MIUI 12.5 by the end of 4/2021 for Mi 11, Mi 10 Ultra, Mi 10 Pro and Mi 10.