When the OnePlus 6 series got the first Android 10 beta update, many OnePlus 5 and 5T users questioned whether their smartphones will receive the same treatment. Soon, in a community forum post, the manufacturer assured that Android 10 will indeed come to the OnePlus 5 series. Moreover, last month, we already shared the leaked Hydrogen OS 10 beta build for the 5th generation devices based on Android 10. Now now more going through the trouble of trying out a closed beta build. Here is the first Android 10 Open Beta 1 for the OnePlus 5 and 5T based on Oxygen OS 10.
Yes, Oxygen OS 10 based first Open Beta zip is now available for download for the OnePlus 5/5T. The OnePlus 6 series, 7 series, and the latest flagship 8 series are already on the stable Oxygen OS 10 build. Here is the same for the OnePlus 5 series. This may very well be the last Android OS upgrade the 5th gen smartphones will get.
The latest Open Beta 1 for OnePlus 5 series features all the Android 10 goodies like enhanced location permissions, new privacy tools, live caption, smart reply, sound amplifier, gesture navigation, dark mode, privacy controls, location controls, focus mode, family link, and more. Not t mention the Oxygen OS 10 features with new user interface, customization features in settings, icon shapes displayed in the Quick Settings menu, Digital Wellbeing, Fnatic mode, Zen mode, built-in screen recorder, screenshot editor, spam call and text filtering, improved NightScape for camera, always on display, and edge notification light.
So basically most of the features you will find in the Android 10 update for OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro. We don’t know whether OnePlus 8 features will come to the OnePlus 5 or not based on Oxygen OS 10.5, but one thing is for sure and that is the stable Oxygen OS 10 based on Android 10 for the OnePlus 5 and 5T is imminent and can be expected any time soon.
What’ss new with Oxygen OS 10 based Open Beta 1 for OnePlus 5 and 5T (Android 10)
Here is the complete changelog from the OnePlus 5’s first Android 10 Open Beta 1:
- Brand new UI design brings light and fluid experience
- Updated to Android 10
- Full Screen Gesture (OP5T Only)
- Newly added Hidden Bar to allow left-right switches of recent apps
Download Android 10 for OnePlus 5 and 5T (Hydrogen OS 10 OTA update)
Here is the first Android 10 Open Beta 1 firmware update for OnePlus 5 and 5T based on Hydrogen OS 10. If you are already on the previous Open Beta build based on Android 9 for the OnePlus 5, then go to settings > system update > check for OTA updates. The OTA comes in a large package around 2.28 GB in size.
Alternatively, if your device is on the stable Oxygen OS 9 or H2OS channel then you will need to manually install Android 10 onto OnePlus phone via local upgrade method. Here are the full stock firmware (ROM) download files.
- Android 10 Open Beta 1 for OnePlus 5T | OTA Download Oxygen OS (direct link)
- Android 10 Open Beta 1 for OnePlus 5 | OTA DownloadOxygen OS (direct link)
How to update OnePlus 5 and 5T to latest Android 10?
This requires the full stock firmware update zips. It is the easiest way to update any OnePlus device. You can basically switch between Open Beta firmware or Stable channel easily. Don’t worry, you won’t lose any data. However, a backup is very important.
- Download the latest available Oxygen OS full stock firmware zip from above.
- Get the full firmware package from above for the OnePlus device and transfer the ROM file to the internal storage or phone storage. Place the zip file outside every folder.
- Now go to Settings app > visit System updates > tap on the top right settings icon > choose Local Upgrade option.
- The Local Upgrade option will search for an upgrade package.
- Once you see an upgrade package, tap over it and then hit the install option.
The device will automatically reboot and perform an upgrade. First boot may take a while. Read detailed tutorial here: How to to flash H2OS full stock firmware over Oxygen OS.