Samsung Galaxy S9 and the S9+ are the best phones of 2018 as they come with the best design, camera, latest hardware, and Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box. Not just that but the phones also support Project Treble which is the most anticipated feature of 2018. The best part about Project Treble is that you can directly flash the latest AOSP sources via Fastboot. However, to make things a little easier, there are custom ROMS developed which can be flashed using a TWRP recovery as well. So in this guide we will show you how to download and install LineageOS 15.1 ROM onto Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ codenamed
As the project advances, more and more 8.1 Oreo based ROMs come our way in support of many new Android smartphones. Thanks to the Project Treble support, the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ can now be updated to the latest Android 8.1 Oreo with the help of official LineageOS 15.1 official builds. However, this is only for the Exynos processor variants with model numbers SM-G960F/FDS/N and SM-G965F/FDS/N. The Snapdragon variants will have to wait as they may not directly support Project Treble.
Download official Lineage OS 15.1 for Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+
The official nightly builds of the Lineage OS 15.1 were live yesterday, but due to some technical problems, the links are offline again. However, the developers said that the links will be live at the links below by the next LineageOS cycle which is Monday, April 30, 2018. So by the end of today or tomorrow, you will be able to download the official Nightly builds at the following links.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Exynos SM-G960F/FDS/N:
Galaxy S9+ Exynos (G965F/FDS/N):
The developers quote:
Note: Due to build environment deviation between developer’s PC and official LineageOS build server. The first official build cycle failed. https://jenkins.lineageos.org/job/android/11803/
We already resolved the issues and the devices have been re-queued but it takes time. The best case scenario will be a manual build re-trigger today but the worst case scenario will be the build got delayed to next build cycle. (next Monday)
Note: So you can download the pre-official builds for the two devices until the official ones come up. Later, you can simply flash the official builds onto this unofficial one without formatting anything.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Exynos SM-G960F/FDS/N
You can use the official LineageOS rooting addons. Or simply flash the popular Magisk 16.4 zip for more
How to install LineageOS 15.1 for Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+?
The LineageOS 15.1 ROM for Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ can be flashed directly using a custom TWRP recovery. We already have the root method which also include the official TWRP recovery setup guide. So once your device has gained root access, simply wipe the previous Samsung Experience ROM and flash the Lineage OS 15.1 ROM zip. See instructions below.
- Make sure your have Enabled OEM unlocking and Advanced reboot from Developer Options.
- Make sure your Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ device is rooted with latest TWRP recovery.
- Download all the Galaxy S9 or S9+ LineageOS 15.1 ROM from above. Also download the Gapps package for Android 8.1 Oreo, latest Magisk v16.4+.
- Transfer all the files including the ROM, Gapps, and Magisk zip to phone storage or SD Card.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery.
- Go to backup option and take a full Nandroid backup of all the partitions like system, data, etc.
- Now, go to the wipe option and wipe all the partitions except the internal storage. Or do a factory reset.
- Later, tap on the install option and flash the Lineage OS ROM zip followed by the Gapps, and the latest Magisk 16.4+ zip.
- Reboot to system.
The first boot may take some time. So be patient.