Jide Technology the community behind the remix OS that brought Android operating system to the PCs, have now made an official announcement and releases a brand new OS for the Mobile devices or tablets. Starting with Nexus 9, Nexus 10 and its very own Remix Ultratablet are among the first Android tablets that can run the Remix OS 2.0 Beta. It seems like Jide Technology wants to give as many users the option to try out its own flavor of Android. As the Remix OS comes to tablets, we can see support for more Android devices from other manufacturers. After all, Android has grown more for the flashaholics and eventually everyone want to try new ROMS and tinker their device for more features and functionalities.
Remix OS has become quite popular since its launch and more because it is easily bootable on a computer and Dual boot alongside Windows OS or Linux OS. Now to get this Remix OS 2.0 beta on your Nexus 9or Nexus 10, you need to go through the usual ADB and fastboot methods. That means you need to flash the recovery, system, boot etc. image files using fastboot commands just like you flash a factory image or a custom recovery image. Now for Nexus 9 you need a Remix OS 2.0 – B2016040801 that weight around 528 MB and that for the Nexus 10 you need a Remix OS 2.0 – B2016033002 that weight around 309 MB. Both are Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based. So hit the download section below and grab the Remix OS from there.
Download Remix OS 2.0 Beta for Nexus and Nexus 10
- Nexus 9 Remix OS 2.0 – B2016033002 → Download | File: images-aosp_flounder-2.0-5.1.1-B2016040801-signed.zip
- Nexus 10 Remix OS 2.0 – B2016033002 → Download | File: images-aosp_manta-2.0-5.1.1-B2016033002-signed.zip
- Remix Ultratablet → Download | Remix OS Global 1.5
Warning: Flashing Remix OS ROM on Nexus 9 and 10 requires some knowledge about fastboot and ADB. Flashing this ROM on Nexus 9 and 10 will be at your own risk. We won’t be responsible for all the resulting consequences. Reader’s discretion is advised.
How to Install Remix OS 2.0 Beta on Nexus 9, Nexus 10
1. Verify your device for compatibility. The listed firmware is compatible with Nexus 9 and Nexus 10 only.
2. Although it’s now listed by Remix developers, Unlocked Bootloader is recommended as it requires flashing boot and recovery images. Get here to know how to unlock the bootloader.
3. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, go to Settings>About Phone> Tap on the Build Number several times until you get a new Developer Options in theSettings. Open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging from there. Trust the connection by allowing it when you connect it to your PC for the first time.
4. Now go to Settings>Developer Options and Enable OEM Unlock. (For Marshmallow and new devices)
5. Make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC for a better connection. Get it from the official page of your device manufacturer.
6. Please, backup your tablet data prior to flashing Remix OS 2.0. The factory image of Nexus 9 and 10 is based on Android 5.1.1. You can download the factory image here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Step 1: Download the Remix OS 2.0 – B2016033002 zip file for your Android device. Extract the file to get boot, recovery, system images and place the file on your PC where you can easily locate it.
Step 2: Make sure that you setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC(Files in the Prerequisites). Trust the connection by checking “Always allow from this computer” when you plug in the Android device to your PC for the first time.
Step 3: Now keep the device plugged in and open a command prompt or terminal on your PC where the Remix OS files are extracted. You can simply click the address/location bar in Windows and type “cmd”. Alternatively, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
Step 4: Boot your Android device into the bootloader or Fastboot mode. To do so, issue the following command through cmd or terminal. You can also manually boot into it using the hard key combination like Power+Volume Down while the device is turned off. Meanwhile, use code:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 5: Once into fastboot mode, issue the following command in the command prompt to check your device connectivity
Step 6: Now issue the following command to get the bootloader unlock status on your device.
fastboot oem unlock-info
Note: Check the bootloader status. If it’s locked, then unlock it first. (This will reset your device and you will lose all data and apps.)
Step 7: Now reboot your device once and boot back into the Bootloader (Step 4) in order to flash the modified boot image. Rename the boot file to boot.img first or enter the correct file name in the command below. (fastboot -w will Clean the existing data.)
fastboot -w fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash cache cache.img fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
Step 8: Now Clean the existing data and reboot. Issue the following command for that.
fastboot -w fastboot reboot
Step 9: Wait until the firmware reboots.
Once the installation completes, you can now enjoy your new firmware. Alternatively, while, on Mac OS, you can issue “./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” etc. command or on Linux type “sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” etc command to flash the Remix OS image files. Same goes for modified boot image and system files.
How to Update Remix Ultratablet to Remix OS 2.0 Stable
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘About’ > ‘Remix OS 1.0’.
- Please check system update.
- The updated Build Number should be Bxxx.
Alternatively, download the OTA from above download section and install it using ADB sideload method. For a tutorial get here. Follow and like us on social media. For queries comment down below.