The Sony SmartWatch 3 is the fourth Android watch to receive the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow update. This is followed by the LG G watch Urbane, Huawei Watch update v1.4 and the Asus ZenWatch 2 and 1 that brought the Android M source code and its various features like App permissions, revamped user interface, and much more to it. Here is another Android device receiving Android M update. Today, the Sony released Marshmallow OTA for its newest Android watch- the SmartWatch 3(SWR50). The update is running regionally and hitting several devices across the globe. So not all Sony users will receive it at the same time. However, here we have the OTA URL capture for the Sony SmartWatch 3 and you can manually update it just like the Huawei and Asus watch using ADB sideload.
According to the get prop updater script, it is indeed the Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware with the build number MEC24H which is to be applied over the over the prior Lollipop LCA43 base firmware. So go ahead and install the update using this simple tutorial and grab the OTA update from the download section below. It comes from Google’s servers and are signed. Also, see how to install TWRP recovery on Android watch. You can check out the Marshmallow images on our Pinterest account.
Download OTA for Sony SmartWatch 3↓[sociallocker]
- OTA for Sony SmartWatch 3 [SWR50] → Direct Link | File: b494dd69f7428b3a79b2d13642c794e2ee74fbab.signed-tetra-MEC24H-from-LCA43.zip
- OTA from ↔ KNX01V → LWX48P
How to Install Marshmallow OTA for Sony SmartWatch 3
This is an official method to manually flash the OTA updates on most of the Android devices. If you happen to choose this method, then you will need the to connect your device to PC and setup ADB and Fastboot. Go through the requirements and instructions carefully.
1. Verify your device for compatibility. The listed firmware is compatible with Sony SmartWatch 3 only.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, go to Settings>About Phone> Tap on the Build Number several times until you get a new Developer Options in theSettings. Open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging from there. Trust the connection by allowing it when you connect it to your PC for the first time.
3. Make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC for a better connection. Get it from the official page of your device manufacturer.
4. For ADB and Fastboot download the quick ADB and Fastboot Installer from here for Windows users and easily setup ADB and Fastboot on Mac OS, Linux or Chrome OS from here. You may also like Universal ADB drivers, Naked ADB drivers.
Step 1: Download the OTA file for Android Watch. You don’t need to extract the file, just place the file on your PC where you can easily locate it.
Step 2: Make sure that you setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Trust the connection by checking “Always allow from this computer” when you plug in the Android device to your PC for the first time.
Step 3: Now keep the device plugged in and open a command prompt or terminal on your PC. To do so, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
Step 4: Boot your Android device into the bootloader or Fastboot mode. To do so, issue the following command through cmd or terminal.
adb reboot bootloader
Note: To check your connectivity, issue the command “adb devices” before the bootloader command.
Step 5: Now, navigate to the location where you have placed the OTA file on your PC. [You can optionally rename the OTA file to a simple one, like ota.zip Its better to use the original file name]. While the folder with the ota.zip file is open, flash the OTA by issuing the following command. (Note that you type the exact name with its proper extension.)
adb sideload <filename>.zip
Step 9: Now the OTA will start installing.
Once the installation completes, you can now enjoy your new firmware. Alternatively, while, on Mac OS, you can issue “./adb sideload ota.zip” command or on Linux type “sudo adb sideload ota.zip” to flash the OTA. Take a look at the discussion from here.