Google released the stable version of Android 13 with August 2022 security update for the Pixel lineup. Following this, many smartphone makers stepped in and released their own Android 13 skin via various beta programs. For OnePlus, it is the Oxygen OS 13 for the international variants and Color OS 13 for the Chinese variants.
OnePlus released the second Open Beta hotfix update with some stunning improvements. It improved system stability. Extended the battery life in some scenarios. Fixed a display issue with the charging animation on the Lock screen. Fixed a display issue with the Screen-off gestures in Settings. Mosty importantly brings October 2022 Android security patch to enhance system security.
Plus, the first beta update added integration for Airtel’s newly launched 5G network. OnePlus 8 series devices can now use 5G in India on any available network including Airtel, Jio, and Vodafone-Idea.
As such, the Oxygen OS 13 Open Beta program is India-exclusive for now, where the device is most popular. Other regions may see the Android 13 beta program at a later time. Meanwhile, download beta 2 on your OnePlus 8, 8Pro, and 8T devices.
OnePlus already released stable Oxygen OS 13 for OnePlus 10 Pro and has an active open beta program for OnePlus 9 series. Here is the first Android 13 ROM for OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, and 8T rolling out via second OxygenOS 13-based Open Beta program.
Color OS 13 vs Oxygen OS 13
If you don’t already know, OnePlus and Oppo have merged, and the firm removed Hydrogen OS and replaced it with their proprietary software called Color OS. But that’s only for the Chinese OnePlus variants. The global variants will continue receiving Oxygen OS 13.
However, looking at the features and visuals, Oxygen OS 13 is just a rebranded Color OS 13 under the hood. That means, there is no difference between the global and Chinese variants software-wise.
So you might as well just try Color OS 13 open beta if you want to try Android 13 one your OnePlus devices. However, do note that this is the first build. OS it may not be a daily driver. You will need to test it yourself.
Oxygen OS 13 features a new Aquamorphic design that is inspired by water. So it has a blueish theme to it.
At the recent OnePlus 10T 5G launch event, OnePlus unveiled Oxygen OS 13. The firm seems to have completely revamped the user interface with some colorful new designs.
Take a look at Oxygen OS 13:
Android 13 for OnePlus 8 series
Some time ago, OnePlus confirmed that the OnePlus 8 series will continue receiving firmware upgrades and that they are working on Android 13.
As for the features, Android 13’s primary focus is on creating a safer environment for the users. You now get more controls and options for “privacy and security.”
Android 13 comes with, but is not limited to, the following features:
- More Customization with the new Material You design
- Enhanced privacy and security
- Improved Copy and Paste
- Fewer Notifications
- Better Tablet Support
- Quick QR Code Scanner
- Improved Media Player
- Smart-Home Controls on the Lock Screen
- Double Tap for Flashlight
- Bluetooth LE Audio Support
- Encrypted Group Chats
- Different Languages for Apps
- The New Google Wallet
ColorOS 13 Features & Changelog
The following changelog has been extracted from ColorOS 13 open beta program for OnePlus 8 Pro released today.
- Aquamorphic Design
- Adds Aquamorphic Design theme colors for enhanced visual comfort.
- Applies the Aquamorphic Design philosophy to animations to make them natural and vivid.
- Adds Shadow-Reflective Clock, with shadow simulating the orientation of the sun and moon.
- Adds a Home screen world clock widget to show the time in different time zones.
- Upgrades to Quantum Animation Engine 4.0, with a new behavior recognition feature, which recognizes complex gestures and provides optimized interactions.
- Optimizes UI layers for a clearer and neater visual experience.
- Applies real-world physical motions to animations to make them look more natural and intuitive.
- Optimizes the widget design to make information easier and quicker to find.
- Optimizes fonts for better readability.
- Optimizes system icons by using the latest color scheme to make the icons easier to recognize.
- Enriches and optimizes illustrations for features by incorporating multicultural and inclusive elements.
- Adds Meeting Assistant to enhance the meeting connecting and note-taking experience, and introduces an option to make notifications more subtle and less distracting.
- Adds large folders to the Home screen. You can now open an app in an enlarged folder with just one tap and turn pages in the folder with a swipe.
- Adds a new type of Always-On Display that shows live information about music, ride-hailing, and food delivery (Supports only some apps).
- Adds media playback control, and optimizes the Quick Settings experience.
- Adds more markup tools for screenshot editing.
- Adds support for adding widgets to the Home screen, making information display more personalized.
- Adds Sidebar Toolbox. You can open a floating window inside apps for a smooth operation.
- Upgrades Doodle in Notes. You can now draw on graphics to take notes more efficiently.
- Optimizes Shelf. Swiping down on the Home screen will bring up Shelf by default. You can search content online and on your device.
- Seamless interconnection
- Optimizes earphone connectivity to deliver a more seamless experience.
- Optimizes Bitmoji to offer more Always-On Display animations.
- Optimizes Insight Always-On Display, with more personalized Always-On Display settings available.
- Optimizes Portrait Silhouette Always-On Display, with more drawing tools and line colors available.
- Security & Privacy
- Adds an automatic pixelation feature for chat screenshots The system can identify and automatically pixelate profile pictures and display names in a chat screenshot to protect your privacy.
- Adds regular clearing of clipboard data for privacy protection.
- Optimizes Private Safe. The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is used to encrypt all files for enhanced security of private files.
- Health & Digital wellbeing
- Adds Kid Space. When in Kid Space, your browser app automatically switches to Kids mode to create a child-friendly space.
- Adds Eye comfort in Kid Space to protect children’s vision.
- Performance optimization
- Adds Dynamic Computing Engine to improve the system speed, stability, battery life, and app experience.
- Gaming experience
- Upgrades to HyperBoost GPA 4.0 to stabilize the frame rate and balance the performance and power consumption in key scenarios.
- Optimizes the pre-launch capabilities of Quick startup to load games faster.
- Improves system stability.
- Extends the battery life in some scenarios.
- Fixes a display issue with the charging animation on the Lock screen.
- Fixes a display issue with the Screen-off gestures in Settings.
- Integrates the October 2022 Android security patch to enhance system security.
Download Oxygen OS 13 for OnePlus 8, 8T, and 8 Pro
Here, download the first Oxygen OS 13.0.0 Open Beta 2 based on Android 13 for OnePlus 8 series.
Downgrade package for OnePlus 8 series
Download the Rollback package from the links below:
How to Install Oxygen OS 13 on any OnePlus device?
Use the same method for upgrade and downgrade.
MP and OBT to DP upgrade guide—via Local OTA Update (EU&IN ONLY)
Note: This upgrade/downgrade method only works for IN and EU versions, NA users please refer to the specific upgrade guide below. This upgrade method will erase all the contents of the phone, please be sure to backup first.
- Download the latest ROM upgrade/downgrade zip package from the specified server.
- Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
- Go to Settings -> About device -> Version -> Click Build number 7 times and enter the password, now you are in the developer mode.
- Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> Upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
- After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
- Update successful.
Join AndroidSage Telegram Channel
Subscribe to Newsletters via Email. Follow us on Google News and Join our Telegram Group! Also, support us by donating via PayPal.