Google IO 2021 live stream unveiled Android 12 and started the beta program for the Google Pixel devices. Most third-party OEMs also stepped up and released the first Android 12 developer preview alongside Google. This includes OnePlus with their latest flagship phones – OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. Today, OnePlus released Android 12 developer preview 2 for OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro.
While the OEM has already released the first Android 12 developer preview for the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro, the beta program was quickly put on hold until further notice. After a long wait, OnePlus did release a new HotFIx build featuring the same changelog. Here is the second Android 12 beta update for OnePlus 9 series with a bunch of optimizations, bug fixes, and new features.
As for the bug fixes, the latest Android 12 DP 2 from OnePlus finally optimized the auto-brightness algorithm. The screen brightness will adapt to more scenes for a more comfortable screen reading experience. Most importantly, it fixed the mistouch issue for curved screens reducing accidental touches. You can check out the complete changelog from below.
in addition to this, there are several known issues as well. Such as the camera does not support Xpan just yet and has some stability issues. This version does not support scrolling screenshots. The Camera app does not contain Hasselblad options. A range of known issues have been listed below.
However, with this build, you do get all the Android 12 features like the new wallpaper-based theme engine, Privacy dashboard, Material You design, and much more.
Furthermore, OnePlus is also reported to roll out Color OS 12 for the global OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro; instead of the Oxygen OS 12. So you may not get the Color OS skin just yet with the Android 12 developer preview 2. Stay tuned for ColorOS 12!
What’s new with OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro’s Android 12 Developer Preview 2
- Optimized the auto-brightness algorithm to adapt screen brightness to more scenes for a comfortable screen reading experience
- Optimized the mistouch prevention algorithm for curved screens to reduce accidental touches
- New design
- Added widgets that show key information of apps and provide instant access to functions
- Optimized the page layout and the presentation of text and color to make key information stand out
- Convenience & efficiency
- Added swiftly switch floated windows, make operation more convenient
- Optimized the frame rate performance under heavy-used scenes
- Added the feature that supported customize the display order of camera mode
- Optimized the zoom experience, make it zoom more smoothly
- Added the form of chart to display battery usage
- Newly supported pre-loading the apps that frequently used, to switch them on quickly
- Improved the response speed of turning on or off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, and NFC
- The Camera does not support Xpan, and contains some stability issues
- This version does not support scrolling screenshot
- The icon of Bluetooth connection displays abnormally
- The icon of charging displays abnormally
- The Cloud Service is unavailable (India)
- The Camera app does not contain Hasselblad elements
- This version does not adapt some third-party apps
- The included Google Phone app does not feature call record functionality. This can be solved by updating the app in Play Store.
- Three-finger swipe down gesture or three-finger long-press gesture after using the screen recorder. This can be overcome by pressing Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously instead to screenshot.
Download Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro
Here you can download and install Android 12 DP 2 for OnePlus 9 series smartphones. The full stock firmware zips are available for the Indian and North American variants. Stay tuned for EU variants.
- These instructions are only for the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro international variants.
- Carrier version devices (TMO/VZW) aren’t compatible with the Developer Preview builds.
Download Android 12 DP 2 (India) (North America):
Want to go back to Android 11? Download the Rollback package from the links below.
Android 11 downgrade package for OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro
How to install Android 12 for OnePlus?
MP version – Stable official version
DP version – Developer Preview version
OBT Version – Open Beta version
MP and OBT to DP upgrade guide—via Local OTA Update
Note: This upgrade method will erase all the contents of the phone, please be sure to backup first.
- Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from the specified server.
- Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
- Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> Upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
- After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
- Update successful.