The Asus ROG Phone 2 finally starts receiving stable Android 10 OTA update starting today. The device has come a long way with a whopping 10 beta firmware builds released for the device before it made it to the stable version. Stable Android 10 for the ROG Phone 2 is now available for download with firmware build number 17.0210.2001.60. Asus’ software development team has also released the 17.0210.2001.60 kernel source code for custom ROM development as well.
Asus’ software development been quite busy lately rolling out latest Android updates for the ASUS ZenFone 6 (aka ASUS 6Z), ZenFone 5Z, and of course, the ASUS ROG Phone II. Today, ASUS’s ROG Global Twitter handle officially announced the release of stable Android 10 update for the for the popular ROG Phone II. The tweet quotes – “Starting from today, #ROGPhoneII users will begin to see the Android 10 update hit their devices.” We can also expect the same for the original ROG Phone 1 as well.
— ROG Global (@ASUS_ROG) March 9, 2020
Moreover, Asus’ latest Android 10 update is based on ZenUI 6 firmware. So naturally, the latest update for ROG Phone 2 also pack all the ZenUI 6 features while still keeping the default theme, wallpapers, icons, and all the complex firmware addons from the ROG series. Plus, we can also expect all the Android 10 goodies including systemwide Dark Mode or Theme, navigation gestures, and the latest security patch level. While, the official account did not share any changelog for the device, we have listed all the changes in the stable build since the last Android 10 beta for ROG Phone 2.
What’s new with Asus Rog Phone 2’s Android 10 update?
1. When reboot the device after system upgrade, dark screen will last about 30 seconds, depending on data size, before startup animation. Please be patient.
2. Please back up your data before upgrading to Android 10. If you want to downgrade your device’s software version to Android 9 by official software package, it will erase all data from your device’s internal storage.
3. Upgraded system to Android 10.
4. Support Google Play system update.
5. Removed Go2Pay and tags ability in Gallery.
6. Support more Aura system lighting scenarios when mounting Lighting Armor Case.
7. Added advanced settings to brightness bar on the Quick Settings panel.
8. Applied Call Exclusive mode system-wide. Removed the related setting from Armoury Crate.
9. Added a setting to change the style of power button menu.
10. Added fully gestural navigation in Display setting.
11. Support Android 10 Dark Theme
12. Added “Suggested actions and replies” in notifications’ advanced setting.
Download and install Android 10 for Asus ROG Phone 2
Here is the full stock firmware zip file for ASUS ROG Phone II’s latest Android 10 update. This is the full firmware package or OTA update zip which you can easily install onto any Asus ROG phone 2 device manually.
- Download Android 10 for the ASUS ROG Phone II (direct link)
How to update Asus ROG Phone 2 to Android 10?
The installation procedure is quite simple. Just transfer the OTA update zip to device storage and reboot to upgrade.
- Download the Android 10 update zip from above.
- Transfer the OTA update zip to phone storage.
- Keep the file at the root of the storage, meaning outside every folder.
- Reboot your device.
- The ROG Phone 2 should automatically detect the update zip.
- Start the update process.
Alternatively, you can also manually update it via stock recovery method using this tutorial – How to install OTA updates on any Android device?