As we know the Sprint variant recently released Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the flagship Note series device- Samsung Galaxy Note 5. The update brings latest firmware build number N920PVPU2BPC3 to the Sprint variant. This is indeed based on the TouchWiz Android M firmware and now just after a couple of days, the root method for the Note 5 SM-N920P is available. Unfortunately, the developer behind SkyHigh kernel has dropped out and Aurora Kernel Autoroot has stepped in. Hence, now the Sprint Galaxy Note 5 SM-N920P and SM-N920R4 devices can be rooted in no time on the latest stock TouchWiz Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware update. With this kernel, you gain numerous benefits like the Deep sleep fix, SELinux tweaks, busy box, and most importantly, the systemless root with the latest SuperSU v2.71. So grab the latest Aurora Kernel Autoroot MM 6.0.1 kernel from the download section and profit. Alternative: You may also try the easy way to root Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 5 using the CF Auto Root method.
But before you proceed, take a note that this is applicable for the devices running on the base firmware version N920PVPU2BPC3 and above which is indeed based on Android 6.0.1. For devices running on Lollipop, do not use the Kernel unless specified as such in the download section. We will be updating the post as we get hold of it and any updates will be notified. This method has been tested running by the developer and some of the Sprint Note 5 users. You also get to install the latest version of the custom recovery TWRP. However, the procedure is still in its initial stages, you may also feel a lag or a couple of boot loops once you root. So this is an almost complete package that you get. If you are not satisfied with the root or kernel, then you can always restore the stock firmware. Take a look at the feature for this root procedure:
* AUTO-ROOT SYSTEM-LESS SuperSU v2.71 (on flash)
* Based on official Samsung source: Samsung OSRC
* ramdisk base: N920PVPU2BPC3
* KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 1
* KNOX Remove All
* SELinux PERMISSIVE (default) or ENFORCING
* DEEP SLEEP FIX
* Compiled with UBERTC GCC 5.3.1 20160401 + Graphite optimizations
* Linux 3.10.101
* init.d script support (drop-in script & set permissions to 755 or 777 and reboot)
* adb insecure
* Mali GPU DVFS disabled for min/max frequencies
* Secure storage = false (should prevent WIFI settings & passwords wiping on reboots)
* Synapse app support for many kernel configurations
Warning: This will trip KNOX counter to 1 and your warranty may be void as well. You should be cautious about it as the procedure is new. Reader’s discretion is advised.
Download Root Files For Sprint Note 5
- TWRP for Sprint Note 5 → Download | File: twrp-3.0.2-0-nobleltespr.img 26.9M
- Alternate TWRP if the above doesn’t work → twrp-3.0.0-0-nobleltezt
- Odin software Flashable Aurora Kernal Download → Aurora_N920P_Kernel_6.0.1.tar.md5
- TWRP Recovery Flashable Zip → Aurora_N920P_Kernel_6.0.1.zip
- SkyHigh Kernel → Download | Discontinued
For Auto Root Systemless, Flash the following SuperSU
- SuperSU v2.71 | File: BETA-SuperSU-v2.71-20160331103524.zip
How to Root Sprint Galaxy Note 5 on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and Fix Deep Sleep
Step 1: Make sure you have downloaded all the necessary files from above and transfer it to your device’s internal storage. For instance, the kernel and SuperSU.
Step 2: Perform a full backup before. Download TWRP from above with .tar extension and flash it using latest Odin Software by adding the TWRP file to AP section in Odin. For a detailed tutorial, get to this page.
Step 3: Once done, reboot into TWRP and take a full Nandroid backup. Tap Backup and select all partitions and proceed.
Step 4: Procedure for root: Download the Aurora kernel and flash it using TWRP. To do so, tap Install>Select Kernel> Swipe to confirm. Go to this tutorial for reference on how to use TWRP. Alternatively, you can use the Odin Flashable Aurora kernel and flash using the Odin software. Just like you flashed the TWRP recovery.
Step 5: Once done, reboot to system.
The device may boot loop a couple of times, but that’s just normal. You may also need to install the SuperSU APK file from play store and update binaries.