Good news comes to the Meizu PRO 5 device as the tested bootloader unlock procedure is now available for the international variant running the latest firmware. This bootloader unlock procedure is also applicable for the leaked Beta firmware available for the Meizu PRO 5 that was available last month. This means that you can now setup a custom recovery like TWRP and eventually flash compatible custom ROM on your device. As the TWRP is setup for the device, you can flash the SuperSU package to gain root access on the stock Flyme OS for the Meizu.
You will also be able o setup stock based custom ROMS, or Cyanogen ROMS like CM 12, CM 13 etc. based ROMs and update your device to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with lots of features and functionality. manufacturer’s website to receive the unlock code. Once you have the code, you are all set to unlock the bootloader using ADB and Fastboot. The procedure has been tested working by some of the Meizu PRO 5 international variants by Meizu fans and users. So just take a look below and unlock it. The procedure is simple and requires the usual ADB and Fastboot methods required by other Android devices. We have listed additional steps to install TWRP and root your device. The TWRP is the latest version 3.0 and has the device comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out od the box, you will need to flash the latest SuperSU version compatible with Marshmallow.
Download Bootloader, Root and TWRP Files for Meizu PRO 5
- TWRP for Meizu PRO 5→ Download | File:TWRP_3.0_m86.img
- TWRP for Meizu PRO 5 → Mirror | File: twrp30.img
- Flash SuperSU for root→ Download | Flash SuperSU according to your Android version.
- Meizu USB Drivers → Windows | Mac | Get it from Manufaturer website
Disclaimer: Unlocking the bootloader, rooting or installing a custom recovery may void your warranty. Even though this has been tested on other Meizu devices, you should be cautious about it. You will lose data, apps, etc., hence backup. Reader’s discretion is advised.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Meizu PRO 5
1. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, go to Settings>About Phone> Tap on the Build Number several times until you get a new Developer Options in theSettings. Open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging from there. Trust the connection by allowing it when you connect it to your PC for the first time.
2. For ADB and Fastboot download the quick ADB and Fastboot Installer from here for Windows users or easily setup ADB and Fastboot on Mac OS, Linux or Chrome OS from here. You may also like Universal ADB drivers, Naked ADB drivers.
3. (Skip this if no such option is available.) Enable OEM unlock on your phone. Activating the “Enable OEM unlock” is necessary for the bootloader unlock. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings >> Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock.
4. Verify your device for compatibility. Also, make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC for a better connection. Get it from the official page of your device manufacturer.
Step 1: Make sure you setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Connect your Android device to the PC and trust the connection- tap Yes on “Always allow from this computer” when you plug in the device into PC for the first time.
Step 2: If you have installed the quick ADB installer, launch a command prompt or terminal window anywhere. To do so, just click the address bar and type cmd and press Enter key or hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window. [If you use the minimal ADB package, then navigate to the location where you have setup ADB and Fastboot and launch a command prompt or terminal window there]
Step 3: Now reboot into the bootloader, issue the following commands. (If ADB does not detect your device try switching your phone’s USB mode.)
adb reboot bootloader
Step 4: Check fastboot connectivity. It shoulf return device code.
Step 5: Once in the bootloader, issue the following fastboot command to unlock the bootloader. (This will unlock your phone and may factory reset your device/wiping all data!)
fastboot oem unlock
Step 6: Step 8: That’s it. Reboot the phone and boot into your unlocked device. Use command:
Step 7: To check the bootloader status, issue the following command. It should return “True” on unlock status.
If you use Mac or Linux machine, use the code: “./fastboot oem unlock” for iOS and “sudo fastboot oem unlock” on Linux. Once done, you may proceed with TWRP and root procedure.
How to Install TWRP on Meizu PRO 5 and Root Meizu PRO 5
Step 1: Make sure your device is unlocked properly or you may risk brick. Again, go through all the pre-requisites in the above method and connect your device to PC and open terminal/cmd. Download the latest TWRP for your Meizu device and open the terminal where the recovery file is located. Now reboot into bootloader:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 2: Now flash the TWRP recovery. Issue the folowing command. Use the proper file name and extension.
fastboot flash recovery twrp30.img
Step 3: For successful TWRP setup, you must first boot directly into TWRP and not back into Android. Use:
fastboot reboot recovery
Alternatively, you can power off your device completely, press and hold Volume Down key + Power key at the same time for a few seconds. You should see a new TWRP logo. For a detailed TWRP installation tutorial, go to this page.
Step 4: Once into the TWRP, Flash SuperSU using TWRP (reboot phone and enter recovery mode. hold power, vol up and home) Tap Install and flash. That’s it. Like and share us on social media. If you need any help with your device, then comment down below or leave a message in the forums.