Xiaomi took a giant leap forward, unveiling its latest innovation, the Xiaomi HyperOS. The major Chinese smartphone manufacturer is now rebranding its products by ditching the MIUI OS, in favor of HyperOS. Quite a few smartphones are now receiving the latest Hyper OS firmware update featuring Android 14 including Poco F5 and Poco F5 Pro.
Xiaomi has taken a bold step forward with the introduction of HyperOS, a human-centric operating system meticulously designed and tailored to connect personal devices, cars, and smart home products within a seamless smart ecosystem.
Here are some of the changes of Xiaomi’s HyperOS as compared to MIUI fimrware.
HyperOS Core Architecture
- Xiaomi HyperOS relies on Linux and the self-developed Xiaomi Vela system.
- Exceptional compatibility and precise resource management enable peak device performance.
- Supports over 200 processor platforms and 20 standard file systems, covering a vast range of devices.
- Lightweight design with system firmware on smartphones occupying only 8.75GB, a significant improvement over competitors.
Refined Scheduling Capabilities
- Dynamic thread priority adjustment and task cycle evaluation for optimal performance.
- Stable frame rates and lower power consumption in resource-intensive tasks.
- Extensive restructuring of technical modules for efficient hardware utilization.
Moreover, Hyper OS is based on Android 14. So you get all the perks from Google’s Android 14 OS as well as Xiaomi apps and features baked on top of it.
In this blog post, we will delve into the intricacies of Xiaomi HyperOS, exploring its comprehensive features, efficient hardware utilization, and the promise it holds for the future of connected living.
Xiaomi HyperOS Features
Xiaomi’s HyperOS gets a significant leap in operating system design, aiming to create a seamless experience across phones, smart homes, and lifestyle devices. Let’s break down the key features that make Xiaomi HyperOS stand out:
1. Comprehensive Refactoring
Xiaomi HyperOS goes beyond the conventional by efficiently maximizing a diverse array of device hardware capabilities, ensuring optimal single-ended performance. The meticulous refactoring process is geared towards creating a harmonious synergy between hardware and software.
2. Smooth in Every Aspect
The operating system takes pride in its precise hardware resource scheduling, delivering unparalleled smoothness and improved power performance. This commitment to smooth performance extends to high computing power devices, outpacing native Android kernels in critical tasks.
Average scheduling latency for critical tasks has been reduced by 14%. Maximum scheduling latency for critical tasks has been lowered by 72%.
3. Powerful Kernel Scheduling
The heart of Xiaomi HyperOS lies in its powerful kernel scheduling, especially notable on lightweight devices. From interrupt response delay to message delivery delay and task switching delay, every aspect is meticulously optimized for a superior user experience.
Powerful kernel scheduling on lightweight devices stats: lowered by 14%. Interrupt response delay lowered by 14%. Message delivery delay lowered by 17%. Task switching delay lowered by 16%.
4. Flexible Distributed Collaborative Computing
To maximize lightweight device performance, Xiaomi HyperOS supports flexible distributed collaborative computing. Multiple computing units collaborate to push the boundaries of hardware performance, ensuring that every device, regardless of its specifications, operates at its full potential.
5. Heterogeneous Compatibility
Xiaomi HyperOS stands out with its superior compatibility, flexibly configuring and operating in accordance with diverse hardware requirements. Supporting over 20 file systems and 200+ processor platforms, it caters to a wide range of common storage types.
Xiaomi HyperOS takes a step further by incorporating an AI subsystem—HyperMind. This cognitive center proactively understands user needs by leveraging device perceptual capabilities (environment, vision, sound, and behavior). The result is a system that learns and adapts to user preferences without intricate logic comprehension.
Empowering System Applications
- Large foundation models enhance system applications, including Xiaomi AI Assistant.
- Real-time subtitle feature transcribes video conferences into notes and intelligent meeting summaries.
- Third-party applications tap into the AI subsystem for enhanced functionality.
7. Cross-Device Intelligent Connectivity
Xiaomi HyperOS introduces the HyperConnect framework, enabling real-time networking between diverse devices. This innovation creates a seamless cross-device experience, allowing users to actively control their entire array of connected devices. Whether at home, on the road, or at the office, the integrated device center empowers users to monitor and manage their interconnected Xiaomi ecosystem effortlessly.
Harmonizing Connected Devices
- Software adapts to user needs, enabling effortless device switching during various activities.
- Seamless connectivity between devices, including cameras, tablets, and smartphones.
- Effortless movement of apps, clipboard content, and notifications between devices.
8. Accurate and integrated load evaluation
Deep analysis of thread relationships for accurate CPU load assessment
9. Extremely lightweight file system
Continuous smooth performance from file-based optimization reconfigured to support lightweight device storage
Near 0 attenuation over 50 month IO performance
Xiaomi HyperOS Storage refresh -0.5%
No Storage refresh -76.4%
Read performance degradation
Improved OTA storage and performance for lightweight devices
Reduced storage occupancy for OTA upgrades by 79%
Time required for OTA 24%
Superior heterogeneous compatibility
Flexible configuration and operation in accordance with hardware requirements
20+ file systems Compatible with a wide range of common storage types
Supports 200+ processor platforms
Smartphone system firmware occupancy decreased significantly Xiaomi HyperOS takes up 9.14 GB as compared to 12.53 GB on MIUI 14.
Xiaomi HyperOS Alive Design Philosophy
Beyond performance, Xiaomi HyperOS embraces an “Alive Design Philosophy,” aiming to create a comfortable, fluid, and diverse visual experience. Some noteworthy design elements include:
- Extensive Graphics Subsystem Restructuring: A new render pipeline and support for complex rendering contribute to high-quality visual experiences.
- Artistic Lock Screen: Blending classic designs with digital technology, Xiaomi HyperOS allows users to turn any photo into a magazine cover or poster, adding a personal touch to device interactions.
- End-to-End Security: Xiaomi HyperOS takes security seriously, incorporating a secure privacy framework with comprehensive hardware-level protection. The self-developed TEE (Trusted Execution Environment) and microkernel ensure a robust security architecture.
- MiSans Global: New font for Hyper OS.
Download HyperOS for your Xiaomi Poco series?
Poco F5 is the first in the Poco series to have received stable HyperOS update based on Android 14. Poco F5 Pro is also receiving the update globally including Europe and Asia.
- Poco F5 India
- HyperOS v184.108.40.206.UMRINXM | Recovery ROM
- Poco F5 Europe
How to Install HyperOS on your Xiaomi devices?
Following is the best way to flash HyperOS ROM or full update package onto Xiaomi devices. However, it can vary depending on the device and the region your phone is located in. Also depends on the network carrier you are on.
1. Local Update
- Transfer the download .zip file to your phone, and ensure you place the file in the “downloaded_rom” folder in the internal storage of your device. If no such folder exists, create one in your internal storage base directory.
- Within your phone, navigate to Settings > About Phone > System Update, and then press the three-dot icon in the top-right corner, and select “Choose Update Package”.
- If the “Choose Update Package” option is missing, tap on the MIUI logo 10 times to activate the option.
- Choose the downloaded .zip file.
- Wait for the update to install.
2. Recovery Update
- Rename the downloaded .zip file to update.zip and transfer it to the base directory of your phone’s internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode by powering it off and then pressing both the Power and the Volume Up buttons together.
- Scroll to the “Install update.zip” option using the volume keys, and select the option using the power button.
- Wait for the update to install.
- Choose the “Reboot” option if your phone does not reboot by itself after installation is completed.