Buying an entry-level or mid-range device is a tricky task. Although you need to check the cost-to-feature ratio, it is equally important to gauge the developer support and updates a device is likely to receive. While various manufacturers tend to shy away from updating their devices, Xiaomi plays a different game altogether.
Xiaomi has recently been pushing MIUI 8.5 updates for Redmi 4A and 3S Prime and now, the Chinese manufacturer has unveiled Global Stable ROM V8.5 for the Mi Max 2.The update, carrying the build number V188.8.131.52.NDDMIED, updates your device to Android 7.1.1 Nougat and weighs in at 1.5GB for the flashable zip file and 1.7GB for the fastboot tgz file, both of which are included down below.
Since this is a Global Release, Xiaomi has not provided us with a changelog. Furthermore, the build carries the May security patch which may come as a disappointment to many.
Download MIUI 8.5 for Xiaomi Mi Max 2
The MIUI 8.5 update can either be flashed via your recovery or via fastboot method, both of which have been provided in the links given below:
- Mi Max 2 MIUI 184.108.40.206 Global Stable Flashable Zip | Download (Official)
- Mi Max 2 MIUI 220.127.116.11 Global Stable Fastboot | Download (Official)
Each File has a separate installation method, both of which are mentioned down below:
Method 1: Flash Recovery ROM via System Update
- Download the MIUI 8.5 Flashable Zip provided in the above section
- Move the downloaded file to the root of your internal storage
- Launch Updater app on your device.
- Click the ‘…’ icon at the top-right corner.
- Select Choose update package
- Select the downloaded file
- Reboot the device if it does not reboot automatically
Method 2: Flash Recovery ROM via FastbootUpdate
This method is exclusively for Unlocked Bootloaders. In case your bootloader is locked, refer to the guide here to unlock your Mi Max 2.
- Download MIUI ROM Flashing Tool
- Download Fastboot drivers for Mi Max 2
- Turn off the device
- Press Volume Down+Power buttons simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode
- Connect your device to PC via micro-USB cable
- Extract the ROM and copy the file path
- Install and run the MIUI ROM flashing tool and paste the path of the ROM as shown below
- Click on the first button (circled out in yellow) to Refresh, and MiFlash should automatically recognize the device.
- Now, click the second button (circled out in red) to flash the ROM file to the device.
- Wait until the progress bar inside MiFlash turns fully green, which means the ROM has been installed successfully. Then your device should automatically boot to the new version.
Though the guide is simple enough, there are always chances of something going wrong. In case you get stuck or your device enters a bootloop, download the Mi PC Suit to restore your device.