The Asus ZenFone 2 devices have been receiving the Beta Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update. To be precise, the Asus ZenFone 2 Laser ZE500KL and the Zenfone Max ZC550KL are the two lucky devices to have received it. The update comes to the two devices officially with firmware build number V18.104.22.168. This build is an upgrade to the previous Android 5.1.1 Lollipop version 22.214.171.124 for the Zenfone 2 Laser. Earlier last month, Asus revealed some of the devices to be included in the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA round up including the PadFone S (PF500KL), ZenFone 2 (ZE550ML, ZE551ML), ZenFone 2 Deluxe (ZE551ML), ZenFone 2 Deluxe Special Edition (ZE551ML), ZenFone 2 Laser (ZE500KG, ZE500KL, ZE550KL, ZE551KL, ZE600KL, ZE601KL), ZenFone Selfie (ZD551KL), ZenFone Max (ZC550KL), ZenFone Zoom (ZX551ML). The Japanese manufacturer has already surprised us with the official Beta Android 6.0.1 update for the Laser and Max. So hit the download section below and grab the latest full firmware builds for the same. We have already seen Asus ZenWatch 2, 1 official Marshmallow update.
Download Beta Marshmallow Update For ZenFone 2 Laser and Max
- Beta Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for ZenFone 2
- Required Base Lollipop firmware for Zenfone 2
- ASUS ZenFone 2 Laser (ZE500KL) → Download | File: UL-ASUS_Z00E-WW-126.96.36.199-user.zip
You can flash the base firmware using ADB and Fastboot. For reference, check out method 2 in this tutorial.
How to Install Beta Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update on Asus ZenFone 2 Laser ZE500KL
This procedure will flash the OTA using the usual ADB sideload method on the Asus ZenFone devices. It may wipe your data or apps. So make sure you backup everything on your PC. Go through the prerequisites and then proceed with the instructions from below.
1. Verify your device for compatibility. The Beta Marshmallow ROM is compatible with the listed Asus ZenFone 2 devices only.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, go to Settings>About Phone> Tap on the Build Number several times until you get a new Developer Options in the Settings. Open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging from there. Trust the connection by allowing it when you connect it to your PC for the first time.
3. Make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC for a better connection. Get it from the official page of your device manufacturer.
4. For ADB and Fastboot download the quick ADB and Fastboot Installer from here for Windows PC or get the easy installer tool for iOS, Linux, and Chrome OS. You may also like Universal ADB drivers, Naked ADB drivers.
5. Make sure your device is on the latest official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware from Asus with build number 188.8.131.52. If not then download it from the download section and follow the instructions there.
Step 1: Download the OTA file for Android Watch. You don’t need to extract the file, just place the file on your PC where you can easily locate it.
Step 2: Make sure that you setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Trust the connection by checking “Always allow from this computer” when you plug in the Android device to your PC for the first time.
Step 3: Now keep the device plugged in and open a command prompt or terminal on your PC. To do so, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
Step 4: Boot your Android device into the bootloader or Fastboot mode. To do so, issue the following command through cmd or terminal.
adb reboot bootloader
Note: To check your connectivity, issue the command “adb devices” before the bootloader command.
Step 5: Now, navigate to the location where you have placed the OTA file on your PC. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like ota.zip. While the folder with the ota.zip file is open, flash the OTA by issuing the following command. (Note that you type the exact name with its proper extension.)
adb sideload WW_ZE500KL_V184.108.40.206_20160417.zip
Step 9: Now the OTA will start installing.
Once the installation completes, you can now enjoy your new firmware. Alternatively, while, on Mac OS, you can issue “./adb sideload ota.zip” command or on Linux type “sudo adb sideload ota.zip” to flash the OTA.
Step 7: Once done, reboot the device into system either manually or using the command:
Once you see the new boot logo, that means the system has successfully been installed. First boot may take a while, so be patient. If necessary, you may need to unlock the bootloader on your Asus device if the method fails.
Subscribe to Newsletters via Email. Follow us on Google News and Join our Telegram Group! Also, support us by donating via PayPal.