We have covered many Samsung Galaxy S7 and the S7 Edge stories so far. For instance, the launch of Galaxy S7 at the MWC 2016, the S7 ROM port to other devices like Galaxy S6, stock wallpapers from S7, S7 Audio files, stock firmware, and system dumps for S7 and S7 Edge as well as the ports like Apps, features and much more. Now here we are with the latest official TWRP recovery for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The kernel source code for the two devices was available recently for both, the Snapdragon and Exynos processors, and now developers have built the first TWRP 3.0.0 Recovery versions for the same.
With the TWRP available for the S7, you can gain root access easily and modify the firmware and make the most out of it. The TWRP is available and compatible with the International SM-G930F/FD/X, and Canadian SM-G930W8 Exynos models for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the International SM-G935F/FD/X, and Canadian SM-G935W8 Exynos S7 Edge models only. Only the heroqlte variant is compatible with TWRP for Qualcomm processors.With further development, you may expect support to other devices as well.
Notes— #1: Flashing a custom recovery to your device will trip the Knox warranty bit on your phone. Check with your mobile provider to see if they will still cover warranty on Knox bit triggered devices. If you understand this risk, continue on. #2: The Galaxy S7 stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you swipe to enable system modifications. Download the dm-verity for that from downloads for that purpose.
Download TWRP v3.0.0+ For Galaxy S7
TWRP For Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Download TWRP for Galaxy S7[Exynos]
Download | twrp-188.8.131.52_herolte.tar.md5
- Download TWRP for Galaxy S7[Qualcomm] Download | twrp-184.108.40.206_heroqlte.tar.md5
- Download TWRP for Galaxy S7 edge[Exynos]
Download | twrp-3.0.0-1-hero2lte.tar.md5
- Download TWRP for Galaxy S7 Edge[Qualcomm]
Download | Coming Soon…
- Official TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S7 → Link
Other Important Files You Will Need
- Encryption Disabler for S7[Exynox] → dm-verity and force encryption disabler
- Encryption Disabler for S7 Edge[Exynox] →dm-verity and force encryption disabler.
- SuperSU 2.68+ → SuperSU by Chainfire.
- Odin Software → Download [Mirror] | File: Odin3_v3.10.7_3.zip
- Samsung Galaxy Drivers → Download | File: SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.zip (15.3MB)
Warning: Once you root or install a custom package, your warranty may be void and trip Knox for Samsung. We at AndroidSage won’t be liable for any damage to your Android device. Reader’s discretion is advised. You will lose data, so backup before you proceed.
How to Install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge And Root
1. Verify your device for compatibility. The listed firmware is compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7 devices only
2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, go to Settings>About Phone> Tap on the Build Number several times until you get a new Developer Options in the Settings. Open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging from there. Trust the connection by allowing it when you connect it to your PC for the first time.
3. Now go to Settings -> Developer options. (above About device) and enable OEM unlock, otherwise, you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on.
4. Make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC for a better connection. Get it from the download section.
Step 1: Download and exact the TWRP tar image file for your for your Galaxy device. Extract the zip file to get the firmware with .tar or .tar.md5 extension and place at a location where you can easily locate it in your PC.
Step 2: Now boot your device into Download/Odin Mode. To do so, turn off your device completely and then press and hold Power button + Volume Down + Home keys for a few seconds. If you see a warning sign press Volume up/ Volume down to get the Odin screen.
Step 3: If you already have Odin software on your PC then simply run the Odin3_3.10.7.exe file. If not, then download the Odin3.zip file from the download section and extract it. Run Odin software as administrator.
Step 4: While your device is still in the Odin Mode, connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
Step 5: After a successful connection, the ID: COM in the Odin should turn Blue and an Added!! message should be displayed in the Log tab. In case your device doesn’t show up in Odin, then you can troubleshoot it with the steps given at the end of the tutorial.
Step 6: Now click on AP button and add the firmware file by navigating to the file path. Once added, it should show like this — File Path\twrp-220.127.116.11_heroqtle.tar
Step 7: Take care that only Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are selected in the Options tab. Do not check Re-Partition.
Step 8: Once done, verify everything and proceed with installation by selecting Start button.
Step 9: Once you install the TWRP Recovery, boot into it with the button combinations like Volume Up + Power while the device is turned off completely.
Step 10: Now take a Nanadroid backup and perform a wipe. Go to Wipe>Advanced Wipe and Format Data only.
Step 11: Now flash the dm-verity and force encryption disabler by tapping Install.
Step 12: Similarly flash the SuperSU package from the downloads.
Step 13: Now reboot to system.
That’s it. Boot your device normally and grant root access with SuperSU app. The boot may take 5-15 minutes. If the system doesn’t boot up for a long time, then go to this link to troubleshoot. Follow and like us on social media. Comment down below if you face any errors.